Speedometer and odometer not working 92 cx

Dnguyen92

Hello again,

My speedometer and odometer don't work.. but everything else on the cluster does so I'm guessing something is wrong with one of the wires on the plug that leads to the middle of the cluster. But does anyone know how to fix it? I have a volt meter.. or whatever its called, the thing with the two needles that you determine if there's power in a wire or something. But I'm really bad with electronic work so please any help will be greatly appreciated!!

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
do you have a "check engine light" on?? how did it happen? was it all of a sudden, did you notice any problems before?

I doubt its a wiring issue, unless you have been taking it in and out of your cluster, but even then its unlikely. its probably either a fuse or you vss is out. I would go through your fuses under the steering wheel and in the engine bay with your volt meter, touch the contacts to the two metal poles on top of the fuse, if you get a voltage then its good, if it reads zero, then you need to pull it out and see if its broke, thats the first step. if you don't fine anything and you don't have a check engine light then maybe i would take it to a shop and see what they say.

Dnguyen92

Nah i got the car like this. But my brother and i checked the fuses and all of them worked. No check engine lights or anything. Well.. atleast on this cluster. I tried using another cluster to see if that would do the trick but there was a check engine light. So I'm feeling like this mexican guy who i got the car from is playing my ass real good.

DaOne

does the check engine light turn on when you turn the key to ON (but not turn the key to the point where car will start)?
all the notification bulbs in your cluster should light up (oil light..check engine light...etc.), (its called a bulb check lol)
Im guessing someone took out the "check engine light" bulb out so you wouldnt see the light on..

Dnguyen92

does the check engine light turn on when you turn the key to ON (but not turn the key to the point where car will start)?
all the notification bulbs in your cluster should light up (oil light..check engine light...etc.), (its called a bulb check lol)
Im guessing someone took out the "check engine light" bulb out so you wouldnt see the light on..
oh s**t you're right. -___________- just did a bulb check right now... dude now i dont even know what's wrong with my car ))))): It's been reliable tho.. and i take it on long drives and nothing happens.. maybe its because of the swap???

DaOne

I would not even look at the codes untill you get the correct ecu in there... Some codes might even dissapear after you get the p28.
Get a bulb on that thing after you get the ecu lol

Dnguyen92

I would not even look at the codes untill you get the correct ecu in there... Some codes might even dissapear after you get the p28.
Get a bulb on that thing after you get the ecu lol
Haha alright. They run for like 130 or something right? And I really really appreciate the help. Thank you. :D

DaOne

Around here they go for $100-120.
just make sure the ecu is for a MANUAL, if your car is a manual.... (auto ecus can be converted to manual, but requires soldering resistors and stuff..)

Your welcome! hope you get it figured out!
PS.
I would not smash on it at least untill you get the correct ecu and check for check engine light codes. JUST IN CASE..

Dnguyen92

Around here they go for $100-120.
just make sure the ecu is for a MANUAL, if your car is a manual.... (auto ecus can be converted to manual, but requires soldering resistors and stuff..)

Your welcome! hope you get it figured out!
PS.
I would not smash on it at least untill you get the correct ecu and check for check engine light codes. JUST IN CASE..
alright i'll be ordering a new ecu soon and then how would i check for the engine light codes? Im guessing its my o2 tho.. because the dude who had the car before me did some stupid ass wiring so he like rigged the sensor to another wire.