Speedometer and odometer not working!!

jrodriguez07

Can anyone help me with this dilemma, My speedometer and odometer is not working and well im assuming it probably my VSS that isnt working. Im wondering if you need professional work to install the new VSS or is there a specific way to install it because i dont want to pay for expensive labor!

thanks

askaterincville

5+ Year Member
your vss is on the back of your transmission it has one 10mm bolt that holds it in and it will come right out, alot of them get corroded it seems. You can get to it from the engine bay on the passenger side its in the very back of the transmission and closest to the firewall. I would check the plug first on it and see what its like, and you can spin it with you fingers once its out of the trans. Check it by spinning the gear and having someone watch your speedo while you do it. it shouldnt take but about 30mins tops to pull it out and check it. Hope that helps.

jrodriguez07

@ askater, thank yeah i did that once my speedometer stopped working. but on my vss there wasnt no bolt either they must of never screw it back on or the previous owner never put the screw back in. I just twisted it around it pulled it out. i unplugged the connection and plugged it back in but nothing.. when your talking about spinning the gear on the vss do i do it while its connect to the harness and while its on?

askaterincville

5+ Year Member
yeah to check it just pull it out and leave the sensor plugged in and start the car and spin the gear with you fingers while someone checks to see if the speedo is moving. And check to make sure there isnt alot of corrosion in the plug.

Pocket_eh

Ordering Civic HB Parts
5+ Year Member
check your plug on your dizzy, and the the plug on the driver side firewall. and its easy to put a VSS in. probably the easiest thing in the whole car to replace.