speedometer cord connection

fierdancer33

So I have a 1995 Nissan Civic dx and the speedometer/odometer stopped working yesterday. My transmission light came on too and I noticed a cord dangling by my feet which i hadn't seen there before. I checked online and see it may simply be that the cord came disconnected and plugging it in is the solution - I'm sure this sounds silly here but i am not mechanically inclined.. at all.. so does anyone have a picture or link to one that shows specifically where the cord connects behind the dashboard?? that would be super helpful

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You mean HONDA Civic... not Nissan, right? :lol:

:welcome: to the site. What does that cord look like? Might be best to take a picture of it, as theres many many wires behind the dash. Do you have a Check Engine Light (CEL) on at all?

fierdancer33

oh wow.. serious typo.. hah omg. ok so i have a picture of the cord, I put a piece of paper behind it for contrast

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oh wow.. serious typo.. hah omg. ok so i have a picture of the cord, I put a piece of paper behind it for contrast
Can't link from facebook. You should be able to save image to your computer and drag into your reply window to load it. If that fails, go to postimg.org and upload the image, then post the link here :thumbs up

fierdancer33

p.s. i've only had this car for a month so sorry if I sound so ill informed about it. I had a pt cruiser for 8 years that just died and bought this as a replacement. Im not so lost usually, seriously, I'm actually a scientist! hah just not an engineer

hondanewb13

thats the ground cable to ur stereo turn on ur radio and let me know if u can hear the radio if u can not thays ur problem

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats the ground cable to ur stereo turn on ur radio and let me know if u can hear the radio if u can not thays ur problem
That is not a ground cable. Its a standard antenna plug for the radio. If your radio stations are difficult to hear clearly then thats your issue. If not, then its possible someone put in another antenna and didnt remove the original cable. They can be a pain for some to remove.

Sorry for the month late reply, Fierdancer. Did you resolve the transmission issue? My guess would be you were low on fluid .

Last edited:

hondanewb13

but if you didnt know the antenna cable is grounded at the base of the antenna

if the car is flashing a d (if its automatic)
it needs fluid or service
soon
definetly try fluid

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but if you didnt know the antenna cable is grounded at the base of the antenna
The antenna may ground itself, but you stated its the ground for the radio of which it is not. The radio ground is in its harness.