Speedometer Counting Miles Too Fast - Not Tires Issue

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I picked up a VTi cluster in MPH (the all orange / red face and needles). I pretty much did it so I could have something a little different and I could take my stock EX cluster with a tach and give it to my GF for her 98 DX that has no tach. Just to set the story of why before everyone has to ask.

I plugged it in, everything was fine, lights, tach, fuel and temp all fine. Driving, the speedo was more accurate than my stock cluster. The odometer and trip are counting REALLY fast though. The previous cluster had 0 issues, so I switched back to it until I could figure out the issue with this one, if it's even fixable.

When I say fast, I mean I literally took a trip to 3 locations to check the readings and measured them against 2 GPS tracking programs on my phone and Google maps. Here's what I came up with:

Trip 1 - Actual 8.5 miles / VTi said 16.3 miles
Trip 2 - Actual 5.0 miles / VTi said 9.6 miles
Trip 3 - Actual 1.0 miles / VTi said 1.8 miles

Kind of weird, I've never seen this before. Any ideas? Or just junk speedo at this point? I can also pick up a 140mph speedo and swap the innards around I guess, then I get to mess with the needle until that's correct :roll:

So to reiterate, tires are totally stock size, rims never changed, alignment is perfect, original cluster has no issues.

RonJ

Banned
Is the cluster possibly reading kilometers rather than miles? Post a picture.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So here's the cluster:

I pulled it apart when I noticed it the first time, being off. I found the odometer was not working at all, it looked like the small white flaps above the dials was not making contact, so not kicking mileage over (only on the trip). I fixed the arms so the larger flaps hit the "7"s right where the 9 would be displayed and kicked over the to 0 and advanced the next number in front. I then snapped the rod down that held all of these flaps and slowly advanced the mileage with the large wheel in the middle right that moves both dials. It worked. Here's the dials and the cluster installed:

While the odometer spins correctly in relation to the trip, it's still very fast. Is it possible, looking at the dials underneath, that maybe someone has been inside the cluster already and maybe had swapped in a KMH mechanism? So in turn, I could likely grab 140mph cluster and pull the speedo mechanism out of it to swap in to mine?

RonJ

Banned
Your odometer and tripmeter are almost surely reading kilometers, not miles.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Pretty much what I figured... That sucks...

Using the OEM for now and contacted the guy I got this one from. He's got a normal plain Jane cluster with a 140mph speedo he's going to send me (and the lens that was cracked in shipping).

I should just be able to pop off the needle :shock: and swap the mechanisms, put it all back together and then just work on getting the needle right for speed. Will see how it goes then!

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want to keep the KPH for any reason dividing by 1.6 will give you your miles.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I could, but then I'd just end up sourcing a Type R cluster. MPH is just easier because I'm lazy and just end up preferring our horribly difficult to convert imperial system of measurements.