Speedometer Issues 97 Civic Hx auto

Kissmyboot

1997 HONDA Civic Hx Automatic

Currently, everything works except my speedometer. I can see the lil guy trying to move but gives up to easily. There is no CEL. The tripmeter and odometer works. I've been guessing my speeds by my RPMs lol which isn't a good idea in Cali.

I am trying to make sure what options I have before buying a new speedometer.

I've been working on her for awhile and still new to all of this. Not afraid to get my hands dirty. Lol. Just don't want to make things worse. Any ideas or helpful diy tips?

KISSMYBOOT:whip:

Last edited:

MechanicJames

Very likely your actual speedometer is broken (the thing that moves the needle in the gauge cluster) I have seen this several times and had the same issue with my turbo civic. There's two ways to fix it the easiest way is to go to a wreckers and get a new cluster the same as yours (some had tachometers some did not) and swap it in or if you can't find one exactly like yours, for example if you have a tach and can't find one with but would like to keep it, you still buy a cluster but you need to take bothe the one you bought and yours apart (i recommend starting with the one you aren't putting back in your car) and swap over the speedos it's fairly simple.

Note you can also just put in a whole cluster with a tach in the gauges if you would like to add one Honda only made one wiring harness for that part so the extra plug will just be dangling there

Kissmyboot

I'm making the trip to the scrapyard this weekend. I'll add that to my list of things to grab. Thank you for your help.

JBav

1997 HONDA Civic Hx Automatic

Currently, everything works except my speedometer. I can see the lil guy trying to move but gives up to easily. There is no CEL. The tripmeter and odometer works. I've been guessing my speeds by my RPMs lol which isn't a good idea in Cali.

I am trying to make sure what options I have before buying a new speedometer.

I've been working on her for awhile and still new to all of this. Not afraid to get my hands dirty. Lol. Just don't want to make things worse. Any ideas or helpful diy tips?

KISSMYBOOT:whip: