Speedometer Not working

dluszcz

With the VSS connector unplugged and cluster connector B connected to the gauge cluster, I also get a reading of 7.5V.

This morning, I'm going to the mechanic to get the windshield washer fluid resevoir reinstalled and to move the air filter from under the fender back to the engine compartment. I will ask him to show me how to do the Ohm test so that I know it is correct. I will reply with the results.

RonJ

Banned
With the VSS connector unplugged and cluster connector B connected to the gauge cluster, I also get a reading of 7.5V.

This morning, I'm going to the mechanic to get the windshield washer fluid resevoir reinstalled and to move the air filter from under the fender back to the engine compartment. I will ask him to show me how to do the Ohm test so that I know it is correct. I will reply with the results.
The result of your voltage test tells you that continuity of the wire (Ohm test) is fine and also that the speedometer is producing proper voltage. If there is no CEL code 17, then the speedometer is almost surely bad and needs to be replaced.

dluszcz

OK. Going to start searching for gauge cluster number 3 today. When I find one, I will post the results of the install. Thanks for your help.

dluszcz

Apparently, I just had bad luck with the 2nd cluster. Bought 1 just like it in Wisconsin and it works perfectly. Sure was a lot of troubleshooting for nothing. The 2nd cluster I bought was tester and they stated it worked. Going to return it today.

Ron, thanks for all your help and patience.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so, a bad cluster huh? dang.

Cr8zyDrifter

5+ Year Member
I have a similar problem, my speedo only works about half the time. On/off intermittently. I'll be driving and it will shoot to 0 for a few minutes and then pop on and off to the speed I'm at. NO CEL. Light does come on when key is turned.so the light does work. so I'll pull the cluster out and do some of the trouble shooting above. but if there is no CEL then it has to be the wires or speedo?
to replace the speedo,do you have to replace the entire Gauge cluster?

gtstwincam

5+ Year Member
Speedometer problem

I have a 1995 civic vx.

The speedometer always works during the first 5-10 minutes of driving, however when the engine warms up, the speedometer begins read incorrectly..

For example... Cruising at 65mph when engine is cold- all is normal.. 5-10 minutes later, speedometer will begin to drop to 40mph and stay within that range..

The guage will no longer read correctly until the next morning- again for about the first ten minutes of driving..

Once in a blue moon, the check engine light code 17 would come on after slowing down from high speed driving

What ive replaced:

ECU,

3 clusters , new speed sensor, replaced speed sensor harness twice, bypassed vss wires in the harness and ran new wires directly from vss to speedometer cluster- still problem exists.

I reinstalled the vss back to the orig harness and did continuity tests and dc voltage tests..

With multimeter. I connected one end to the yellow/blue wire of vss connector and the other end to the black/yellow wire of speedometer harness.. I get full continuity.. BUT i am also getting continuity on all the remaining pins of the sppedometer harness too! (is this normal?)

i then checked continuity from the yellow/white wire of the vss harness and the yellow/blue wire of the speedometer harness and get full continuity- i checked all the other pins on the speedometer harness and get no readings...

I then did a dc voltage test...

With ign on and mutimeter on dc10, speedometer harness connected, i grounded the multimeter and the positive end connected to the yellow/white wire of the vss plug, i get a voltage reading of about 7v..

I pulled the vss assembly out of the transmission and inspected the gear teeth of the vss housing and it looks good

i inspected the plastic gear in the transmission that is visible through the hole where the Vss mounts and i didnt feel any missing teeth..

I feel drag on the vss when i turn it, not much drag on the gear in the trans..

Last edited: