speedometer not working?????

mgarcia725@gmai

project jdm
ok so my problem is that my speedometer isnt working and i cnt seem to figure out y.. can anyone help out i think it might b a fuse not to sure.. can someone help me out here?

thnx i highly appreciate it

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Does the tach work? If it does then its probably the speed sensor(VSS) it's on top of your transmission, you can probably get away with cleaning it and it should work, if not it will have to be replaced. If the whole gauge cluster doesn't work then you got a different problem, probably a fuse or a lose connection somewhere.

Most likely the VSS though.

DaOne

^ I dont think the tack has anything to do with the VSS or the speedometer not working...

OP, does your odometer or tripmeter work?
If at least one of them work, then the problem is probable NOT the VSS. (its probably the speedometer gage itself)

If the Speedometer, Odometer, and tripometer are all NOT working.. then its either a loose connection somewhere, or the VSS is bad.

GL

mgarcia725@gmai

project jdm
it just the the speedometer it was working befor now its not the rpm guage is ok so is the gas

RonJ

Banned
Are any CEL codes thrown, such as code 17?

Kensai, the VSS has nothing to do with the tachometer, only the speedometer, odometer, and tripmeter.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
My fault you're right, that's exactly what I meant in my first post. I meant that if the tach and speedo were both non-functional the problem is probably not the VSS.

I just got confused after.

DaOne

Yeah i didnt think the tach had anything to do with the VSS. I even googled afterwards to see if i was wrong lol nice ninja edit. lol

xhElLbOiY210x

veryting on my dash worked except the speedmeter, i changed the VSS, nd it worked, but wen i start going above 20 mph it goes crazy!!! any help?..94 honda civic

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
speedo may have just broke. I have 2 speedos, one with broken odometer tried to switch it for a speedo my friend had and that one would only work half the time. Cleaned the vss and everything so i just threw the one with the broken odometer back in for now.

If u have any buddys with eg's ask them if u can pull out their cluster and plug it into your car to see

hartkeld91

What does "vss" stand for, Because the connection is a wire with the speedometer gear, and gear holder that goes into your transmission. My speedometer odometer or tripmeter do not work. I am thinking about finding a new cable, or gears to replace my connection. it looks and feels a little loose. Does any one know how to replace these? i am almost positive that this wire/gears are what caused my speedometer to quit. My tachometer still works great, otherwise i would not know my speed. But What should I do to replace these?

603 jdm

i have the same problem too, the 93 ej1 i just gots speedo only works half the time everything else works fine though. soo im guessing that i should cleean or replace the speed sensor?

maclaban

Can anyone help? I got a 2008 civic and my speedometer ,tachometer and my temp gauge dont work! Any help please?

gizmo85

honda civic 2008

hi i have a 2008 civic and i have the same problem did you manage to sort your problem out can you please help me you can contact me on my personal e-mail misty3874@hotmail.co.uk i'm new to this site and i'm not sure how it works thanks

Can anyone help? I got a 2008 civic and my speedometer ,tachometer and my temp gauge dont work! Any help please?