Speedometer not working.

yosoydominic

I have a 99 Civic EX auto trans
speedometer doesn't work but every other gauge on the cluster works.
I've already replaced the speed sensor twice.
Tried out a friend's cluster on mine, nothing.
Checked the 15 fuse under the dash and originally there was a 20 fuse but I replaced it with a 7.5 and still nothing.
Need help on what to check out next.
Any help is appreciated

Ep3po

Respected
Do you have a volt meter? If you do jack up front end and block off back tires remove cluster again and unhook the 16 pin connector. set volt meter to 10 to 20 volt D.C. Put red wire on volt meter to pin 11 its blue and white and black to a good body ground. Now spin the front wheels forward by hand if you get a pulsating reading your spedo is bad. If you get no reading VSS is bad.

yosoydominic

Do you have a volt meter? If you do jack up front end and block off back tires remove cluster again and unhook the 16 pin connector. set volt meter to 10 to 20 volt D.C. Put red wire on volt meter to pin 11 its blue and white and black to a good body ground. Now spin the front wheels forward by hand if you get a pulsating reading your spedo is bad. If you get no reading VSS is bad.
Hey so I did that and everything seemed to work fine. Bought a new speedo as well today and a new speed sensor AGAIN. No dice.
Have any more recommendations?

Ep3po

Respected
Was there any major recent work done lately? How long have you owned the car? Did it work when you bought the car?if not do you know the history of the car? There's a lot of info you failed to mention. I was giving advice of a basic troubleshooting procedure with Very little information about the car.

yosoydominic

Was there any major recent work done lately? How long have you owned the car? Did it work when you bought the car?if not do you know the history of the car? There's a lot of info you failed to mention. I was giving advice of a basic troubleshooting procedure with Very little information about the car.
So I had a Cadillac and traded it for this 2000 EX. I bought it and the speedo never worked. The engine was Rebuilt before I traded the car but they never mentioned the broken speedo but I drove 3 cities out to trade so I wasn't going to say no for it. I've had the car for a solid month now just slowly fixing it up. Never has worked the only thing I do know about the car is the poor thing has been passed around some people in my city and then ended up 3 hours from the city just for me to bring it back in town.

Ep3po

Respected
So the car has a shady past with major work done. It would be very hard to diagnose with the car in front of me let alone 2000 miles away. Look around for corroded or pinched wires loose connections and anything that looks shoddy or tampered with. Situations like this where a car was passed around town you never know what could have been done to it or who wrenched on it. Get a cheap used GPS unit and set it to display your vehicle speed is an easy cheap way out. I don't know what other advice to offer buddy.

yosoydominic

So the car has a shady past with major work done. It would be very hard to diagnose with the car in front of me let alone 2000 miles away. Look around for corroded or pinched wires loose connections and anything that looks shoddy or tampered with. Situations like this where a car was passed around town you never know what could have been done to it or who wrenched on it. Get a cheap used GPS unit and set it to display your vehicle speed is an easy cheap way out. I don't know what other advice to offer buddy.
Appreciate all the help though. I'll have to find an electrical guy in town I suppose.
Dumb question maybe you can answer but could the abs sensor have a speed sensor? I'm looking into it but I'm more of a muscle car guy imports aren't my Forte so maybe you might know?

Ep3po

Respected
my abs sensors were stuck in the hub when i removed it to bring it to machine shop to press new bearings. I cut the wire and ordered new ones and drove the car for a week with no abs sensors and my speedo worked fine.