Split Stock Header - Next Steps

kyle3194

Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum. I bought a 2000 LX about 2 months ago to save on gas (I've put 6k miles on it in 2 months...) and keep miles off my pickup. Anyway, upon changing oil today, I was poking around the O2 sensors because I have a cat efficiency code being thrown. Well when I took the heat shield off the header, I saw a nice split between the two sets of outlets. Well, the auto parts stores around me do not carry any replacements, so a quick google search lead me to this set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-00-HONDA-CIVIC-CRX-DEL-SOL-D15-D16-STAINLESS-EXHAUST-HEADER-HIGH-FLOW-PIPE-/150723064766?fits=Year:1999|Make:Honda|Model:Civic

Anyone have experience with these cheap-o's? Again, the idea behind this car is to be cheap, but I don't want to be replacing again in 6 months if these are just complete crap.

Also I'm in Kansas, so I'm not concerned about the CAT. And I can always buy the adapters to trick the O2 sensors to keep the light off.

I am hoping to do this pretty soon, so let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for your help,

-Kyle

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The least expensive yet effective option is to remove it and have the crack welded by a shop or muffler place. I doubt you'd be charged no.more than $30, maybe $20, as itll take them less than 10 minutes to do.

kyle3194

Yea I had that idea today... I have access to a welder and I worked in a machine shop for 4 years so I bet I can do it.. But I am having a hard time believing that that is steel... I read on another forum that they said it was formed steel, but it looks just like something cast to me. Can you confirm this? And if it is cast, how about the JB exhaust weld option? I am also thinking about adding a "High Flow Cat Test Tube" (essentially a cat replacement) since I'm pretty sure my cat is plugged. Has anyone tried this?

My last resort would be the junk yard, but from what I've read this crack is very common on these manifolds.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, these cracks are very common, and yes theyre cast. JB weld wont stand the test of time so welding is the best option.

If you intend to test pipe the cat then save money by just honing out the current cat.

Restotech

Respected
Welding cast iron is tricky and will probable crack again right next to the weld. It can be done but is tricky. Cheap headers have horrible fitment but that can be solved with a lift and rosebud torch. I've only had my cheap eBay headers for about a year so I can't personally speak about longevity. IMG_20160902_182256940.jpg
I just adjusted mine last week.