SRS, OIL and BATERY LIGHTS on engine turns but no start

Darth_Civic

so like i said when the key is in the on position the SRS light goes on and off, the oil light is on until i crank it and the battery light stays on or flickers when it cranks.

yesterday i had a cel 22 so i cleaned the vtec solenoid and pressure switch. since then it ran great and no cel. theres plenty of oil and gas and i jumped it no start. not sure where to go next.

also it was running great before it wouldn't start turned it off for ten minutes, it started up for 5 seconds then died.

I know this question is on here 5 billion times but I couldn't find these specific circumstances

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your main relay, if that tests ok, check the coil. Good luck

Darth_Civic

Thanks. is there a specific wire on the relay to check? That's good to know I didn't think to check it

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah it was pretty hot out about 90 but dry
It
Definitely the main relay then. Replace the mpfi/efi fuse under the hood too, even if it's good. Depending on how much you tried to start it, it was under stress and could pop on you at any time.

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if it is hot outside like that you can smack the bottom of the dash and the car will start

Darth_Civic

its a spark problem. i tested every thing from plugs up to the coil and nothing so i replaced the igniter and still no spark. tomorrow ill try the coil hopefully she starts

Darth_Civic

bump.

i replaced the igniter no start replaced the coil and no start.

is there another reason for a no start in the ignition system?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bump.

i replaced the igniter no start replaced the coil and no start.

is there another reason for a no start in the ignition system?
in 96-00 civic, there is a crankshaft position censor (CKP/Speed, I think) actually in the dizzy. My car did the same thing (although it just refused to start, and was running like s**t before), and I had to replace my whole dizzy. Once I replaced it, checked timing, and it fired right up. Check any and all fuses/relays related to the ignition system.

Darth_Civic

in 96-00 civic, there is a crankshaft position censor (CKP/Speed, I think) actually in the dizzy. My car did the same thing (although it just refused to start, and was running like s*** before), and I had to replace my whole dizzy. Once I replaced it, checked timing, and it fired right up. Check any and all fuses/relays related to the ignition system.
thats exactly what my gf dad said so i think thats my next step. fuses were good except the srs fuel pump which i replaced. ill let you guys know how it turns out. hopefully this helps somebody else.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also there is a crank position sensor, on the timing cover above the crank pulley.

Do you have a friend with a 92-00 civic? Borrow their relay and try it, I'm still leaning towards the relay, as it can cause a no spark as well.

Good luck, keep us posted =)

Darth_Civic

I still think main relay also

i pulled the main relay checked it for continuity and broken solder joints seems to be good. plus I'm getting fuel pressure now. if I'm not mistaken i would have fuel pressure if the main relay was busted.

Darth_Civic

bump.

this is driving me nuts. i replaced with a brand new dizzy and i still have no start. could it be that the ecu went bad. i think i mentioned that the feul pump/srs fuse was blown so i replaced it but still no spark.

could this have anything to do due with taking the vtec solenoid off to clean it? but it ran great after that

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tell you what, PM me your address, I'll send you a known working relay and a known working cps, when your car starts, order me a clubcivic t shirt, send it to me, and we'll call it even ;)