Starter Cut Relay Bypass on a 1997 Del Sol

MichaelCarlos

Hey everyone,

I had a no crank situation with my del sol that I eventually fixed by bypassing the starter cut relay. The one that's located next to the main relay to the left of the clutch pedal. I removed the wiring from the relay and stuck a paper clip in there as a jumper. Now it starts up right away!
EDE4AFD7-8808-4FB9-B523-7E42EDCBAD60.JPG

B2579FF2-970A-42D2-8DC2-2B656629ABD5.JPG
My question is about whether I should replace the relay. It's not an expensive part, but is there any real damage that can happen if the relay isn't in the starting circuit? I guess I don't really understand what the relay is doing in this situation. Is it making sure the battery is providing enough voltage before it will allow it to pass through to the solenoid?

I don't mind shelling out $30 for a part, but I would like to know if it's really necessary. I'm actually quite happy driving around with my paper clip! Thanks guys!

Michael

MichaelCarlos

Thanks for your reply. I am planning to replace the relay, just trying to understand it better. With my paper clip in, I measured the voltage going to the solenoid wire. It only reads 12 volts when I have the key in the III/start position. As soon as I release it and it goes back to II/On, the voltage disappears. It's also gone if the key is off.

I do notice that the clutch safety switch doesn't work though. So is the whole point of this system to make sure the car doesn't start while it's in gear? Or maybe to prevent a child from starting it?

MichaelCarlos

Thanks again.

Some updates:

I tested the relay, and it seems to be working. The contacts close when I send 12 volts to the control side, and I get continuity on the load side. I removed the clutch safety switch and when I push the stopper in I get continuity, so I assume that means it's working. I haven't tested the wires that connect to it yet, mostly because they are really hard to get to. Is there something else that could be causing this, like some module that's sending the wrong signal? If not, how should I go about testing those wires? Should I check for continuity there too?

One more thing: when I have the clutch safety switch in position and I start the car without pushing the clutch down, I get a Check Engine light. If I back it up so the clutch can't touch it the light doesn't come on. Maybe this is a sign that it is not faulty?

By the way, whenever I read your responses I hear them in Stephen Colbert's voice! =)

Michael