Starter Problem? car wont start

Black!e

5+ Year Member
ok, so my 98 civic ex wont start i have power - radio,lights,etc and when i try to start i just hear the lil cranking noise but never cranks up, and my lights dim when i try to turn it on, if that helps, we checked for corosion on the battry etc, also the cable that connects to the starter was loose b4 and i unplugged and plugged back in when i had some problems, but now that doesnt work, and hitting my starter dont work either,and i had the starter tested and it works fine. so anyone know what could be wrong or what i should check?

PNK SLP

5+ Year Member
im having that same thing with my 97 kia sephia...sucks i think its the starter as well. if u find anything out please let me know.

ekcoupetyper

5+ Year Member
DAM!!! im having the samo problem too...chec if your getting power to your spark plug wires...i think my problem is somewhere in the distributor.

91civicfreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good grounds? im kinda in the same boat.

ekcoupetyper

5+ Year Member
also if you dont know if its the starter try push starting it if it turns on it could be the starter or alternator....

Black!e

5+ Year Member
thats wierd how everyone is having problems, imma have to try something soon

ekcoupetyper

5+ Year Member
i just changed the ignition coil today and it worked so you should check if your getting power to your spar plug wires....

knotapunk

5+ Year Member
exact same problem with my 2000 SiR. Igniter inside the distributor is dead. Had to order a new one.

dreamin

5+ Year Member
Was going to suggest your brushes in your starter, but i think they would be fine if you had it checked out - did they check out your solenoid?

"If a starter solenoid receives insufficient power from the battery, it will fail to start the motor, and may produce a rapid clicking or clacking sound. The lack of power can be caused by a low or dead battery, by corroded or loose connections in the battery cable, or by a damaged positive (red) cable from the battery. Any of these problems will result in some, but not enough, power being sent to the solenoid, which means that the solenoid will simply make a clicking sound, rather than setting the starter motor in motion."

don't know if it helps or not!

ekcoupetyper

5+ Year Member
to find out if you have power to your spark plug wires simply stick a screwdriver into the 1st spark plug wire then have someone try to start the car as theyre starting the car hold the screwdriver close to ground you should see a spark if you dont then the problem is in your distributor, now to find out if its your coil thats bad open the cover up of the distributor, youll see a black coil, to test it youll need a test light, test that theres power going into the coil, under it theres to screws theres a positive and a negative you can see the signs, if power is ok there check where the current comes out of (it points out) check for power there first with the key on all the way, if not try to start it, if the test light doesnt show power its your coil. its like 70 bucks