Starting issue, dies whIle driving

Weston Lindsey

So recently my car has been acting really funny lately. First off is the starting issue. So when I try to start my car it will start up and right when I release the key to go to the on position it will die. If I apply gas then it will start up just fine and sometimes when the car is already warmed up it start without me giving it gas. Next my car will die out randomly will I'm driving it. when it dies out everything else stays on like the radio, lights and what not and there is no sputter noise. i started noticing the problems when i first installed my short ram intake, my exhaust, and my radio. any kind of help is very much appreciated. thank you

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) on? Does the CEL work? If so, jump the service connector on the passenger side dash to grab the codes, which are extremely helpful in diagnosing these issues. Check post 1 at this thread here.

Weston Lindsey

Hey XpL0d3r! thanks for the welcome and the reply. sorry I forgot to mention that but there is no check engine light that comes on and my CEL does work.

Weston Lindsey

thanks boofoo! will definitely give that a try. what would you use to clean that ?

anv2tk

Respected
I have a very similar issue to yours, so maybe this will help: mine dies randomly while running, no CEL on. I have replaced spark plugs since they were old and copper vs titanium electrode. I discovered my ICM was bad (replaced my dizzy with a reman a few years back) so I replaced that too. Brand new IAC valve. My issue remains, plus my idle is off. So, without a multi meter at my disposal, I can only deduce that my TPS is faulty. THIS is where I am so gar, hopefully the steps I've taken will provide you with some insight. Good luck!

Weston Lindsey

thanks for the info anv2tk! I really appreciate it. I'll be most likely doing the same steps you took and see what the out come is after that. I hope your problem gets resolved as well!

Weston Lindsey

Alright guys so I cleaned my IACV (haven't gotten around to cleaning my FITV but I will soon) and so far so good. When I first started the car before cleaning the IACV it started and I released the key and it died instantly. After cleaning the IACV as best as possible I attempted to start the car and it was a really rough start at first but other than that the car seemed fine. I then took it out for a drive for maybe about 20-25 minutes and I was shifting in low rpms (atleast under 2000) and the car seemed to handle it no problem (meaning the motor didn't die on me once). I'm gonna give it about a weeks worth of driving to say the problem is completely gone.

anv2tk

Respected
Adjusting the idle speed isn't directly my issue. I've read up on how to adjust it and I've actually played around with it quite a bit. My issue is that the car just dies randomly (idling, running, doesn't matter). According to the list of causes to this issue, according to my service manual, the TPS is the only thing I have yet to look into ... so that is where I am right now. I just need to get a multimeter so I can properly test it before I replace it.

anv2tk

Respected
I am not complaining about an idle problem nor am I asking for help. I was simply offerng some insight to whoever approached the forum with the stalling problem. As for being in a 7th Gen civic section ... again, I simply offered a little bit of insight take it or leave it. Thread Jacking? Really? You're picking. You're picking to bicker overt some minute detail and now you've used up space on the thread ... thread jacker.

Restotech

Respected
This^ isn't an idle problem, and a bad TPS would not cause the engine to stall while running. You have a 5th gen Civic, and this is a 7th gen Civic forum.
Ditto. A bad tps will not cause the engine to stall. Look elsewhere. Possibly an ignition switch problem.

Weston Lindsey

Anyone know what the starting probably could be ? I'm thinking it'd the starter cause sometimes when I start the car I hear this grinding noise

Weston Lindsey

It might help to restate the problems that persist because it's not clear which ones in the first post have been solved and which remain.
my bad... so it seems like cleaning the IACV helped a lot with the car stalling while running because ever since then the car has been perfectly fine. So I think that has been taken cared of. but my car still has a starting issue. So I can turn my key to crank the car to turn it on and the whole car will come alive but once I release the key to go to the on position it will die. Now sometimes when I start the car there is a grinding noise so I'm thinking it's the starter but I'm not too sure.

Weston Lindsey

yes, so when the car dies everything will stay on and the it will instantly right when I release the car. If I was to hold the key there it will stay rinning but as soon as I release the key it will die. The starter on the other hand doesn't sound like it's cranking the engine abnormally weak.