Starts then dies, when outside temperature is high

Jay Reddy

Fellow Civic owners, my 98 auto sedan works perfectly fine when the outside temperature is below 80. When it is hot out however, regardless of engine temperature, it will start and immediately die; throttle has no affect. An odd thing happens when it dies, instead of the warning lights coming on, the instrument panel goes completely dark. The AC and fan controls however stay lit, and fan stays on. If I turn the key off and back on the warning lights come back on. So it appears that a relay that supplies power to the engine and instruments is turning off. I tried the fix for the main relay that is mentioned in this forum and there was zero impact on the symptoms. After about a half a down attempts it will start and idle completely normally. Occasionally it will die while I am driving and the revs are low, but usually starts right back up.
Cheers,
Jay

daperez13

Respected
That is a bit strange, indeed. My apologies for not having any helpful suggestions, I just saw that no one has responded to your thread and felt compelled.

You may have a short somewhere, heat could be expanding a metal-contact just enough to cause this. Do you hear the fuel pump prime? Could be one or more injectors going bad or your distributor. Check your switch and relays.