stays cold while driving, temp normal at idle Help

HondaCRX881

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So interesting question i have that i have never run into before. Just changed my radiator out but flushed the system before i changed it. so i put the new radiator and bled the system of air. let the engine get to operating temp and the fan kicks on. no erratic idle or anything. Heres the situation though. It will warm up to normal operating temp when im going slow through town or at idle but as soon as i hit freeway speeds or even about 55mph or so consistently, the temp gauge drops to below the meter but above the "C" in my crx. there is of course no signs of overheating as far as i can tell but even in my last rex when i swapped in a huge overkill fluidyne radiator it still stayed at a constant operating temp even while on the freeway. has anyone ran into this before or know what it might be? my first thought is thermostat isssue but i might be way off. any help?

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine does that too. i think its because its gettin airflow from you going highway speeds. my temp gauge will drop sometimes too. only on colder days tho.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i bet you have a gutted thermostat and you dont even know it.

HondaCRX881

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you think maybe the thermostat is stuck open maybe?

chrishil

Coolant

Your car’s thermostat is the first thing you have to look out. You may also check out if there’s a leak in the cooling system.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Most likely a bad thermostat. They're cheap and incredibly easy to fix. I changed mine last summer and my car warms up SO much faster now.