1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

stays cold while driving, temp normal at idle Help

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by HondaCRX881, Aug 31, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. HondaCRX881

HondaCRX881 New Member 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

So interesting question i have that i have never run into before. Just changed my radiator out but flushed the system before i changed it. so i put the new radiator and bled the system of air. let the engine get to operating temp and the fan kicks on. no erratic idle or anything. Heres the situation though. It will warm up to normal operating temp when im going slow through town or at idle but as soon as i hit freeway speeds or even about 55mph or so consistently, the temp gauge drops to below the meter but above the "C" in my crx. there is of course no signs of overheating as far as i can tell but even in my last rex when i swapped in a huge overkill fluidyne radiator it still stayed at a constant operating temp even while on the freeway. has anyone ran into this before or know what it might be? my first thought is thermostat isssue but i might be way off. any help?

2. knightxrider1

knightxrider1 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

mine does that too. i think its because its gettin airflow from you going highway speeds. my temp gauge will drop sometimes too. only on colder days tho.

3. sohclubkid

sohclubkid Sick 6/6 Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

i bet you have a gutted thermostat and you dont even know it.

4. HondaCRX881

HondaCRX881 New Member 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

you think maybe the thermostat is stuck open maybe?

5. chrishil

chrishil New Member

Coolant

Your car’s thermostat is the first thing you have to look out. You may also check out if there’s a leak in the cooling system.

6. sohclubkid

sohclubkid Sick 6/6 Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

this

or possibly stuck open, but it should still get warm with it stuck open... so i say its gutted.

7. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Most likely a bad thermostat. They're cheap and incredibly easy to fix. I changed mine last summer and my car warms up SO much faster now.