Steering/belt noise?

j5mm2

So I recently replaced all the belts on my D16Y7 1996 Civic LX,which has 141,380 miles on it. I changed the water pump itself, but also the timing belt, alternator belt, water pump etc. The car was sitting in a garage with the motor torn apart for about 3 years. I got it running and drove about 580 miles on it with the new belts, and parts. Recently however, every time I turn the steering, I hear and also feel (through a vibration in the steering wheel), a type of buzzing noise. If I'm over 35-40mph the noise goes away. I popped open the hood, and smelled some sort of burning rubber. All the belt's look fine, but I can't see the timing belt since the timing cover is still on. I'm assuming its not a timing belt condition bc it would knock or not start at all. I have no idea what this sound/smell can be. Anyone have a similar prob. Any help would be appreciated!

RonJ

Banned
Check the power steering belt. Is it loose? Is the fluid low in the power steering reservoir?

j5mm2

Fluid seems to be full, and power steering, alternator belts are tight. Do you think it may be the actual timing belt? I don't know why that would produce the sound though. I haven't taken of the timing cover yet.

1badej8

maybe the belt is too tight it should have a little play i believe.

j5mm2

I'm taking the timing cover off tonight to make sure everything's good there, and about to mess with the tension on the steering belt.

Hombre

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check the powersteering pump... if good, check for leaks in hoses, rack and pinion, etc.... if good, check fluid if needs to be replaced....

j5mm2

Okay so I took the timing cover off, and all belts seem to be in good shape with enough tension. I drained the fluid and refilled, but I'm still hearing the buzzing/grinding noise when I turn the steering. User "Hombre" suggested it might be rack and pinion, and this reminded me abt a curb I went over that bent my passenger side control arm and made my passenger cv axle leak (dallas curbs are f***n mean). This was a loooonng time ago, but now that the car's running after all taht time, maybe the steering rack/pinion is acting up? Don't know if that would be the case but its buzzing/grinding when I turn...I'm gna be doing some work on this over the weekend, hopefully figure everything out.