steering rack

SQL2112

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi, I got a 97 EX, does anyone know if there is another steering rack that will go in my car with a tighter ratio?

EJ's Rule!

Got V-TEC??
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup... a non-power steering rack... cars are fun to drive without power steering, u feel like racing all the time, you really feel the road and removing power steering adds more HP and drops some weight... if ur interested or anyone else is, let me know, I could get manual steering rack REALLY cheap....

SQL2112

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What is the ratio on a non power steering rack?

EJ's Rule! said:
yup... a non-power steering rack... cars are fun to drive without power steering, u feel like racing all the time, you really feel the road and removing power steering adds more HP and drops some weight... if ur interested or anyone else is, let me know, I could get manual steering rack REALLY cheap....

EJ's Rule!

Got V-TEC??
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know, check ur honda manual... but you can make U turns in some really really small places....

burntaxis

burnt axis
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Manual Steering rack from 6th gen has a 20.3:1 ratio. The powered rack is 17.7:1. Manual racks are slower so that they are easier to turn w/o the power assist.
Also, steering ratio has nothing to do with the turning radius
You can remove your PS belt to get a similar feeling as a manual rack, but it will be hard to turn when your are driving slowly. Go a step further by looping the lines to the rack, and you will have much less resistance at low speeds.

cole

holding monster
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
theres this thing that you can buy so your tires turn all the way with out turning the stering wheel more than once arround - forgot what it was called

EJ's Rule!

Got V-TEC??
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
never herar of the cole.... figure our the name and post it, I wanna see that thing...

EJ's Rule!

Got V-TEC??
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sorry... I didn't write it correctly... <<never hera of that cole.... figure out the name and post it, I wanna see that thing...>>>>

SQL2112

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, the problem is that I complete in SCCA Solo2. I have limited options when it comes to mods but if any of the 97 Civics came with a non-power rack, its legal for me to use that rack. If the rack can turn the wheels faster, I would love to have it because I loose a lot of time compensating for my sluggish steering, especially in slaloms. Unfortunately where I race at FedEX field in Maryland, slaloms are popular course features. Sometimes there is four or five of them on a single course.

legendking said:
Manual steering SUCKS! I'd give mine up for a PS rack any day

legendking

Resident Cynic
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SQL2112 said:
Well, the problem is that I complete in SCCA Solo2. I have limited options when it comes to mods but if any of the 97 Civics came with a non-power rack, its legal for me to use that rack. If the rack can turn the wheels faster, I would love to have it because I loose a lot of time compensating for my sluggish steering, especially in slaloms. Unfortunately where I race at FedEX field in Maryland, slaloms are popular course features. Sometimes there is four or five of them on a single course.
Yeah, I feel ya! I was strictly talking from a daily driving point of view.