Steering Wheel Shaking at High Speeds

Fvckbg

I've been having this issue for about 1-2 months now. I have a 98 civic ex and when I go between 55-70 mph the wheel starts shaking. It's not a serious shake but it's the type of shake where you can feel it shaking like a normal shake. I've tried a wheel alignment, rotation, and balance and it's still shaking. my father in law said it might be the shocks but idk. What do you guys think?

sure one of your wheels are not bent?
I remember a few months back this guy said I had a bent rim but the wheel wasn't shaking at the time

theres your problem.
So you think it got worse overtime then?

if i had to take a wild guess , without me driving it and feeling it for myself and checking it out, id say bent wheel is your problem my man.
when I say wheel I meant like the steering wheel in my first post not the actual tire

Last edited by a moderator:

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sure one of your wheels are not bent?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
theres your problem.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its throwing the wheels back out of balance, i had a bent wheel on my last car, its really annoying.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if i had to take a wild guess , without me driving it and feeling it for myself and checking it out, id say bent wheel is your problem my man.

dancam

Registered VIP
Wheel weight mighta come off then when you got it rebalanced they didnt get it good enough. Its hard to balance bent rims. Or at least im not good at it, lol.
Mud in your rims?
Switch your front tires to the back and see if it feels different or if you have a spare set of wheels try them. It can be suspension/ steering stuff, but its usually tires. You could also just drive at moderate speeds... =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
also you may have a s**t set of tires.

Fvckbg

also you may have a s**t set of tires.
Yea I forgot to mention the guy said I had a 2 bad tires. I wasn't thinking about the changing the tires I wanted to try other things to narrow it down but if I get new rims it'll kill 2 birds in one stone

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well there ya go, problem solved.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bad tires can definitely caused steering wheel shake. Having a bent rims doesnt help either. Dont be surprised if you happen to find a sidewall bubble on the one of the inner sidewall of those worn tires as well.

Last edited:

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bad tires can definitely caused steering wheel shake. Having a bent rims definitely doesnt help either. Dont be surprised if you also happen to find a sidewall bubble on the one of the inner sidewall of those worn tires as well.
this really sums it all up!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this really sums it all up!
Dont give me that much credit. Their could be more for various other reasons, especially since he hasnt shown a picture of the bent rim.

Last edited:

pplaza910

Your rotors are done ,maybe warped or wheel bearings check both areas

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Warped rotors dont usually shake just while driving but upon braking. If his were warped then he'd notice when braking at much lower speeds. It would take severely worn discs to feel shaking when not braking and that would be felt even at low speeds and feel damn near undrivable at high speeds. Bearings would also show symptoms at lower speeds then worsen upon acceleration.

Last edited:

tyrexus

Respected
Get your wheels balanced and that should help. I had the same issue at around the same speeds and problem was solved after balancing wheels.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get your wheels balanced and that should help. I had the same issue at around the same speeds and problem was solved after balancing wheels.
Balancing wont solve a significant bend in the rim.

OP, its been almost a month since your last comment. Any updates?

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Balancing wont solve a significant bend in the rim.

OP, its been almost a month since your last comment. Any updates?
Hopefully his lack of posts mean the problems have gone away. Let's hope!