Steering wheel vibration, randomly...pls help!

civic7_T

Hello Guys,
i have a 7th gen civic (2004, 4dr, manual transmission ). I feel a smooth vibration on the steering wheel at approx. 110 km/h. It comes up randomly, not always. It's not a visible shaking just i feel it with my hand. The tyres and wheels are brand new, there were balanced 3 times in two different shop and checked also the suspension. Is there a known specific reason of this strange problem? Please help to solve, I hate this phenomena! Thank you for your reply!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
- Visually inspect the tires for sidewall bubbles. Just because theyre new doesnt mean one couldnt be defective.
- If you have a cheap brand of tire then it may be defective
- Make sure your tire pressure is correct.
- Make sure if the sensation you feel isnt occurring at the same locations. It could be the road and not your car.
- Inspect your suspension, bushings and control arms for any loose bolts or damaged parts.

civic7_T

I have brand new Pirelli tyres without any visible damage or bubbles. I drove ~6000km with these tyres on 2 different highways so i don't think that it depends on the bumpiness of the road.
I belive that it mustn't has a spectacular reason , because the sympton is very small vibration.
(I bought the car in february) The car was checked in two garage till now, no loose bolts, no sensible loose bushing...

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It doesn't happen just when braking or coasting right? It really could just be the new wheel / tire combo; it may just feel a little different compared to what you're used to. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it seems to get worse.

civic7_T

When i'm braking i don't feel vibration. (front brake pads and discs were changed to new brembo parts two month ago )
My first intuition would be the front outer cv-joints but generally their first symptom is crackling in turns. In this case i don't hear noise or crackling....and i don't want to change parts randomly. I feel vibration at constant speed at 110 +/- 5 km/h on straigth and smooth road, sometimes...I bought the car with winter tyres,i felt a bit less vibration with them .( They are generally softer then summer tyres so it's consequent..)