Stereo, left side speakers (only) keep blowing

pharmdog

Bought 2006 Civic Sedan for my daughter. One month later the left side speakers went out. It was Christmas time so I bought her a new head unit and speakers. After installing, 3 days later the new left speakers went out again. I'm guessing that it's got to be wiring or harness, but what? If it was a short why would the speakers even work in the first place. Something in the wiring changing impedance? Any thoughts are appreciated.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Definitely check the continuity and resistance of the wire from the speaker to the head unit. Also ensure that the speakers are rated (watts) to handle the headunit (it should if there is built in amplifier) or an external amplifier.

Continuity will just verify there is not a break in the line.
Resistance should be 0 or very low. Resistance will tell you if the line is damaged or even if the connections are corroded.

Unplug that speaker completely and see what happens to the other speaker.

Check for any leaks into the interior of the door and the speaker is not getting wet causing a short and blowing the speaker.

Check and ensure that the mounting screws are not touching/twisting the speaker fabric. Some of those smaller speakers the cone just about touches where the mounting screws are.

pharmdog

Definitely check the continuity and resistance of the wire from the speaker to the head unit. Also ensure that the speakers are rated (watts) to handle the headunit (it should if there is built in amplifier) or an external amplifier.

Continuity will just verify there is not a break in the line.
Resistance should be 0 or very low. Resistance will tell you if the line is damaged or even if the connections are corroded.

Unplug that speaker completely and see what happens to the other speaker.

Check for any leaks into the interior of the door and the speaker is not getting wet causing a short and blowing the speaker.

Check and ensure that the mounting screws are not touching/twisting the speaker fabric. Some of those smaller speakers the cone just about touches where the mounting screws are.
Thank you. I'm going to break out the multimeter and dig in this weekend. I figured, after changing head unit and speakers, that since it was both on the left that it had to be wiring or maybe a bad harness/connector. I think that I'm going to bypass harness and just hard wire it, after I check what you've suggested. Thanks again.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you upgrade from the factory radio to an aftermarket radio? If so, are you aware if the car had a premium audio package with a 4-channel amplifier? If it does then the amp might be the issue.