stock d16 losing oil, no visible smoke or leaks

Deadsetrevolver

I recently purchased a 2000 5-speed civic si with 187,000 miles. Within a 500 mile drive, it lost 2qts of oil. I took it to a mechanic that suggested the piston rings were causing the problem and quoted me a $2500 engine rebuild without properly figuring out an alternative. I went out and bought a compression tester and all 4 cylinders had a stable 150psi. Wouldn't this unanimous compression value eliminate the possibility of a severe piston problem? I've been doing research on PCV valves and was wondering if this could be the issue. If anyone has any other information on similar problems, please let me know. Thanks

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
2000 Civic Si... d16.. Confirm this with pics.

It SHOULD be a B16. If there's a D series in there you've been had! 150 across the board should indicate you're alright. 2 qts though! YIKES! You'd certainly see smoke or drips some place. Oil doesn't just disappear. It leaves smoke, or a mess in the engine bay. If you're driving and it's leaking, you'll see a trail all the way back and it'll blow all over everything.

POST PICS under your engine. Confirm series too.

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
2000 Civic Si... d16.. Confirm this with pics.

It SHOULD be a B16. If there's a D series in there you've been had! 150 across the board should indicate you're alright. 2 qts though! YIKES! You'd certainly see smoke or drips some place. Oil doesn't just disappear. It leaves smoke, or a mess in the engine bay. If you're driving and it's leaking, you'll see a trail all the way back and it'll blow all over everything.

POST PICS under your engine. Confirm series too.
Agreed. My suggestion would be really check the bottom of your oil pan and insure there isnt a hole punctured anywhere that might "spray" the oil when there's pressure. Might not even notice any spray pattern underneath if the hole is in the right spot.

RonJ

Banned
The 00 Civic Si from Canada has the D16Y8 engine. The Civic SiR from Canada has the B16a2 engine.

OP - Are you saying that your engine is perfectly clean of oil? If not, clean all oil from the engine exterior and then watch for locations where fresh oil appears.

Deadsetrevolver

I confirmed its a d16y8. There is some oil around the bell housing near the clutch but the oil pan seems to be oil free. The engine is relatively clean as well. I'll post some pictures after i get a chance to take them from underneath the car.

RonJ

Banned
There is some oil around the bell housing near the clutch but the oil pan seems to be oil free.
Use your fingers to probe for fresh oil beneath the distributor and VTEC solenoid.

Though the pan itself is oil free, its gasket could still be leaking from the right side.

RonJ

Banned
Could be a rear main seal leak, which can lead to significant oil loss. Inspect by removing the clutch cover.

RonJ

Banned
You'll find oil behind the flywheel if the rear seal is leaking.

If so, you'll need to drop the transmission to replace. May as well replace the clutch and throw out bearing as well while the tranny is out.

Attachments