Stock Ride Height for 92-95 Civic Coupe???

Dice316

Can anyone tell me the stock ride height of a 92-95 civic ex coupe? or I'm Not sure if i'm asking the right questions or if i understand how to measure it correctly so let me just explain the situation - as most of you know 92-95 civics use 14" wheels with 185-60-14 tires...i currently have 17" apex wheels with 205-40-17 tires in the front and 215-40-17 (falken 512) in the back...i kno i kno...WHY SO BIG well it has come to my attention that this is WAY TO BIG and heavy and i'm looking to get Rota D2 16" wheels with 215-40-16 (falken 512)

now as far as what fits i do have a front lip + sideskirts on the car and i don't want them to be lower than 5" off the ground (aka the height of a parking bump)

now here is the fun part my last visit to the shop the guy told me i have what is called "poor man's coilovers" on my tokico blue shocks - meaning while i have good shocks some one put OEM springs on them CUT THEM and then added a nut under the spring to make it adjustable - im sure i dont have to tell you i do not have a nice ride i know miami is flat ground but let me tell you on certain roads i drive everyday i feel like im on a horse (lol) and the train tracks ooo the train tracks anyway I was told to get lowering springs (best) or real coilovers (ok) i want to get lowering springs i was looking into DNA's 1.75" drop (not bad for $80) BUT if i change the crap that i have now and get 1.75" drop springs will they rub on my 17" rims? or should i wait till i get the 16"? or will the 16" even be ok with 1.75 drop? i heard 2.5" would be too low and i want the 16s to look snug with space to at least stick my finger between my fender and tire.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!.....and thank you - Dice

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
You'll be fine with a 1.75" drop. You can check out this tire size calculator to see the difference in your tire options http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html I would also recommend a higher quality and not so cheap of a spring. I've never heard of DNA's. I assume they are an EBAY spring. Some lowering spring companies like Tanabe and Tein have pictures of their cars lowered so you can get an idea of how the car will sit with them on.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The Tokico blues are OE replacement, not really meant to be lowered on, they aren't performance shocks. If you were to get coilovers, you'd want to replace your shocks, if they don't come with new ones already..

Stay away from any cheap lowering springs. I've never heard of "DNA" and $80 for springs leads me to believe they are cheap and likely won't be much better than what you currently have, possibly worse. Most of the better lowering springs run around $160-$210. The problem with lowering springs, in your case, is that the height is set and you can't adjust it. If you get new lowering springs, the height may not be what you want. Which is why coilovers are a better option for your situation.

Buying new shocks and springs would probably put you close to $400 for the set. Might as well save up another $200 for Progress CS-2's. Great quality, great price and probably just what you're looking for.

Dice316

alright thanks for the input i originally wanted to get real coilovers and my mechanic says he's seen DNA brand stuff they are just kinda new there suspension stuff is ok but their exhausts sux lol anyway if there is no real way for me to determin how it will look whats your take on coilovers? because i am one of those picky get it just the right look types and if i get springs i dont want to go threw all that work just to not like the look 100% but i've heard that coilovers arnt that great on ride smoothness unless they are extended all the way DNA is one choice DropZone is another but any advice on coilovers? again id be using them just to get the ride height as low as i can with out rubbing or the body kit dragging on the ground. springs was just the idea so when i go over a pot hole in the road my car dosn't act like the wheels just got pulled from under it i mean i don't mind spring back but the slamming is another thing

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The problem with brands like this DNA or DropZone is that you really don't know what you're getting... They claim this and that spring rates but if you were to test them, I'm sure they would be way far away from their claims. Even Hypercoils and Eibachs tend to be a little off from their stamped spring rate, and these are top notch companies. The other problem is just plain poor quality.

Like I said, the coilovers will give you the ability to get the height just where you want it. Can't do that with normal drop springs. A lot of people generalize and say coilovers are harsh. Well that's because they didnt do their homework and don't know anything about picking out the right setup.

The Progess CS-2's have a fairly soft spring rate. This means it'll have decent ride quality, pretty good performance, but also not able to slam the car. Progress even recommends only lowering around 1.5", even though you can go lower without much issue and technically go extremely low but then you will run into issues.