Storing car for winter??coilovers

civi716

Just wondering the proper way to store you vehicle over winter. It will be in the garage (not heated) and it gets very cold here in upstate Ny. I also was wondering is it realy bad for the coilovers. Should I swap stock springs or will I be wasting time and effort. Ive rsearched and got diff opinionsm would like to hear yours. Any input on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance

yevangelis

eg ek ek
i don't see why cold temps would be bad for the coil overs, its high temperature that changes the characteristics of metals not the cold, especially if its not going to be exposed to wind chill.

i would drive the car for at least one hour once a month

wash it really good before storing it and after every drive

i winterize my car if I'm going to be driving it (lube locks, hinges, fill washer res. with non-freezing type, make sure coolant is good, etc...) but if you're not driving it then you don't need to do all of those

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
fill up the tank and ad a stabilizer to the fuel thats really all you need to do if its only sitting for the winter. you could put it on jacks but only if you have them i wouldn't run out to buy them. also close your vents so mice or other critters cant make nest.

yevangelis

eg ek ek
ja good advice, but winter in his area lasts 5 months so I would try to drive it in between cold spells to keep things from sticking, drying, seizing, tires from getting flat spots...

the little critters are definitely a problem but just closing your vents won't prevent them, you need to make sure they can't get in the garage.