Strange Electrical Issue -- blinking dash and parking lights (for a fixed time)

kEND

Infrequently the following occurs.

When starting the car, the dashboard lights and back lights and the parking lights blink repeatedly for 10 or so times and then pause and then repeat. This go through a few cycles and then everything is fine. If you turn on the parking lights or headlights, everything is fine.

This happens for a period of time and then will go away for weeks and months.

I've done a 'reset' by disconnecting the battery and connecting the battery leads to one another. (I'm not too certain this was going to be effective). I've checked the ground wires that are easy to get to. I've visually checked fuses, but haven't checked them individually.

The behavior is so consistent with the 10 or so blinks and a pause and then 10 or so blinks again that I'm doubtful that it is a worn wire short.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? TIA

kEND

Which specific dash lights?
All dash lights.

By back lights, do you mean brake lights or taillights or something else?
The lighting behind the speedometer and the lights that outline each selection, e.g. D or P or N. The stereo blinks as well. The parking lights included.

Does your car have an aftermarket alarm system?
No. Standard equipment.

kEND

Would it be accurate to say that all lights controlled by the light switch are affected?
Hmmm. I'm not sure. Certainly some of these lights are supposed to turn on when you turn on the parking / headlights as the car is assuming that it is nighttime or darker conditions (so there for the controls need to be back lit). The blinking is irregular and the they are turning on at all without the parking / headlight switch being turned on.

EDIT: Also, I've checked all of the fuses and they're good.

kEND

Can you identify any light not blinking and also not controlled by the light switch? If not, the light switch is likely the problem.
Great questions, @boofoo. I appreciate your help.

If I don't crank the engine, the seat belt not fastened light, the oil pressure, battery indicators, and the engine light (*) do not blink when the cycle begins. Also the interior lights are not affected. The green bar on the cruise button is not affected, though the word cruise is affected (a back lit).

If I do crank the engine, the engine light, battery, oil pressure indicators are not lit, nor do they blink.

Interestingly, I timed the blinking. Over several samples, the blinking occurs for 30 sec, pauses, 30 sec, pauses, and then blinks for a final 30 secs. So everything is back to working normal 1:30 minutes after I turn the key.

* the engine light starts blinking on the second set of blinks and then doesn't blink on the last set.

kEND

This^ suggests the problem may be with the taillight relay (or its circuit). Reconnect the switch. Unplug relay from dash fuse/relay box. Redo test.
Do you have a handy diagram showing the location of the tail light relay?

kEND

This makes me think that your car has a malfunctioning security system.
Yes. This seems correct. I pushed the panic button of a second on the key fob. This sets off the same blinking. For some reason, the car thinks it needs to panic when I put the key in and start the car. Hmmm, I wonder what to do next. I'd be okay preventing the panic functionality.

kEND

Yes. This seems correct. I pushed the panic button of a second on the key fob. This sets off the same blinking. For some reason, the car thinks it needs to panic when I put the key in and start the car. Hmmm, I wonder what to do next. I'd be okay preventing the panic functionality.
Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 1.35.03 AM.png

I followed this procedure and the issue is resolved. @boofoo many thanks for your help on this. I'm terribly relieved.