strange noise and shuddering from engine

kojam2000

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a '96 dx with a d16y7 motor. The engine has 216k miles on it and isn't in perfect condition. Lately it seems to have gotten worse. Sometimes at idle, the engine seems to make a rapid tapping or knocking sound. I'm hard of hearing so its a little hard to describe better. I can feel the engine kind of shuddering when it does this. When I give it a little gas it smoothens out. It doesn't do this all the time, but if I'm at a standstill long enough, I can count on this happening.

Can anyone give me an idea of what this might be?

Jase

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How bad does it shudder!? i might have a similar situation as you, but for me, when it let it sit for a long time, the rpm just drops below 1, and goes back up again, as if it was purrin' not too sure though.

cheers

manu

5+ Year Member
kojam2000 said:
I have a '96 dx with a d16y7 motor. The engine has 216k miles on it and isn't in perfect condition. Lately it seems to have gotten worse. Sometimes at idle, the engine seems to make a rapid tapping or knocking sound. I'm hard of hearing so its a little hard to describe better. I can feel the engine kind of shuddering when it does this. When I give it a little gas it smoothens out. It doesn't do this all the time, but if I'm at a standstill long enough, I can count on this happening.

Can anyone give me an idea of what this might be?

the tapping sound is normally if your valves need adjusted....
the knocking sound is if you are running lower than 87 octane gas or a problem with fuel delivery... maybe a new fuel filter or injectors need to be cleaned .... since you are at 216K i recommend getting a new fuel filter and a valve adjustment ... neither can hurt......

manu

5+ Year Member
Jase said:
How bad does it shudder!? i might have a similar situation as you, but for me, when it let it sit for a long time, the rpm just drops below 1, and goes back up again, as if it was purrin' not too sure though.

cheers
the stock idle rpm is 750 which is less than the 1k on the tach... if it does this constantly when the car is heated up at normal running temperature try changing your pcv valve

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
manu said:
the tapping sound is normally if your valves need adjusted....
the knocking sound is if you are running lower than 87 octane gas or a problem with fuel delivery... maybe a new fuel filter or injectors need to be cleaned .... since you are at 216K i recommend getting a new fuel filter and a valve adjustment ... neither can hurt......

:wstupid:
probly clogged injector. try runnin a higher octane and injector cleaner.

kojam2000

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i used seafoam in the gas tank a couple of times recently and it didnt clear up. i have been using premium fuel for a couple of years now because it seemed like the car ran smoother. i recently tried plus fuel and it actually seemed to reduce the problem but not enough to make me less nervous. how much does a valve adjustment normally run?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your up to it, you can adjust the valves yourself. Its not too hard. Searh thru the Engine Tech section, and Im sure you'll find one. Actually...I posted a link to a how-to in there....somewhere....