Strange Overheating

MaidenOregon

Ok, so my car started overheating and I thought okay, it's because it's 100 degrees outside and maybe the coolant is a little low. Okay so my coolant was a little bit low nothing to be overly concerned with , but I topped it off and everything seemed OK. No oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil...cool. She doesn't seem to be leaking any coolant at all but I replaced the radiator cap just in case. However I was still having the overheating problem. I replaced my thermostat and the problem seemed to subside. After about 2 days she began overheating again. I brought her into the shop got her a compression test and a cooling system check and everything checked out fine. She ran for an hour and a half while they tried to get her to overheat.......and nothing. Today I was going to take a trip to the coast since everything seemed to be taken care of and once again it overheated. It only really seems to overheat while I am either going slowly or while I am idling. At this point the only thing I can really think of is that I'm having an issue with the head gasket. Any advice?

TracyN8

Check that the fan is coming on. The easy way is to jump the temp switch for it and see if it turns on the fan. If it doesn't come on then the relay is bad or the fan motor is bad. It is not uncommon for the head gasket to fail around 130k, a sure sign is that the coolant is forced into the reservoir by engine gas and do to leak in gasket no vacuum is present to pull it out.