strut replacement advice/personal experience needed

reyg89

5+ Year Member
I need to replace my struts in my 92' 5th gen. dx, I'm swapping out my ebay coilovers to ground control ones and want the most comfortable struts with a 4" drop. What brand struts will you recommend?, share your story if you've got one.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They work best with Koni Yellows but you could also get the Tokico Illuminas, and the KYB AGX. Those are listed in order from best to worse. Just try not to get an OEM replacement shock for the GC's.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, if you're getting GCs, don't stray from anything but Koni.
the purist will beat you.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
4 inch drop? I really hope you're getting some custom rate ground controls, like 550+lbs...If not you will bottom out like there's no tomorrow. You also might want to get the GC extended tophats, which only work with koni shocks I believe. On the other hand if you really want a 4 inch drop you will need to get pretty stiff ground controls which means you're going to be pushing the limits of what the OTS Koni's can handle. Oh and you can forget about comfort with a 4" drop.
I suggest you reconsider your ride height/suspension choice.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1: You're looking for shocks/dampers not struts.
2: A 4" drop without extended tophats is going to kill ANY good shock.
3: You're going to need to aim for 500lb springs to avoid bottoming out.
4: You can make your own extended tophats if you know how to weld.

Koni Yellows but you could also get the Tokico Illuminas, and the KYB AGX
Based on my experience I would switch the AGX and Illuminas in order from best to worst. Unless OP plans on motorsports he doesn't need to spend the money on Koni Yellows, and since a 4" drop is all for appearance I'm guessing he won't be racing.