strut replacement.

jimj90

5+ Year Member
Anybody ever do a front strut replacement?

My car is lowered with lowering springs. Not sure how much, not TOO much.

My right front strut is gone. Leaking...means it's blown right?

I just want a stock one but dont want to spend a lot. Any ideas? Plus is there anything else I should replace while I replace the strut?

thanks.

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
stocks are going to run you around 700 bucks you can pick up after market tokico's for around 400

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know you don't wanna spend a lotta cheese, but if you're allready dropped, you might as well get some struts that can handle the abuse. like the other guys said, take a visit to Dezod.com and buy a set of Tokico blues. When I got them I got them for less than 400 shipped.

oh yeah if the strut is leaking.....it's gone to strut heaven...if the other one goes you'll feel like you're driving a lowered school bus.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
struts should be replaced in pairs also. but if i were you i would replace them all. get the tockicos you cant beat them for the money. also the strut mount is probably gone too so nows as good as anytime to replace that too.

D17Denver

JDM products
5+ Year Member
yeah Tokico blue's are the way to go and Ebay is the right place to look they sale shocks w/springs for about 6bills for fronts and rears. but u need a spring compresser to put it in right or u could hurt yourself so look on ebay and replace but do them all. good luck but dont do it by yourself have a tech. do it.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can rent a spring compressor from Autozone. Deposit $40, return it when you're done and get your money back. Tadah!

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you used a fork chances are you ripped the protective boot, which is why grease is everywhere.

You'll have to replace the boot, or replace the tie-rod in the near future because s**t gets up in there and messes it up.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you used a fork chances are you ripped the protective boot, which is why grease is everywhere.

You'll have to replace the boot, or replace the tie-rod in the near future because s**t gets up in there and messes it up.
very true....I made that mistake. I was way more cautious on the other side. If it weren't for my frined helping me I would have screwed up something awful. Some people shouldn't work on their cars...I'm that guy. LOL

chopt51

5+ Year Member
I need some help, hope its not too late.

Ok lets start. I bought stock struts with 2" lowered coils 2 years ago. It has always been real bumpy compaired to stock. So yesterday I swapped my old struts with the used ones. It rode way better. But when I got home the passenger side started leaking. The next morning at work the driver side started leaking. Both rears btw.

The only thing that comes to mind is the R and L on the struts. When I first installed them 2 years ago I could not see the R and L cause I did not take them apart, I had the L on the passenger side. This time I put the L on the drivers side. Now their both blown. Should I put the old used bumpy ones back on L on passenger or buy new ones and put L on drivers. Does this make sense or will they leak just from sitting. What did I do wrong? please help.

morningbake34

5+ Year Member
replacing strut now on front right ,, mine was for 120.00,, its a stock one ,,, mine bent do to a pot hole as well as my lower control arm needed to be replaced ,, hoping my cylinder is fine ,, cuz when i place a full tire on it grinds against something and and top wheels is bent in had rims on when hit the pothole benth my rim really bad..... i no u should replace both front but low on fuds right now cuz of all the damage,, by not replacing both will to notice it?