Struts replace??

In my car

The mechanic told me that my front struts need to be replaced, while he shakes his head. He went on to tell me that he'd never seen anything like that before (struts needing to be replaced on an ALMOST three year old car).

The struts are not visibly cracked, broken, or leaking. When the steering wheel is turned, the car makes a grinding noise. Thus the investigation to determine what was causing the noise.

1. In general, how often should struts be replaced (miles or years, or both)?
2. In general, how much should it cost to replace two struts?
3. What are some of the reasons they would fail?

Ironically, the car is past warranty (mileage). So this is probably an out of pocket expense. :(

Jabes

5+ Year Member
is the car lowered at all? and one way to check them is to push down on the front end near the tire on each side and if when you do that the response is really bouncy then its probably the struts

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you buy it used ??? how many miles are on it is it modified at all.

In my car

The car has not been modified in any way, shape, or form.

I bought it new in 01/2008.

Have had all the recommended work done on it through the ownership.

Miles are high, but the mechanic said that struts, in general, do not need to be replaced, especially on a car with less than 100k miles.

93Civicspeed

Maybe it was a faulty pair of struts, that happens sometimes, and struts for my Civic are $48 a peice before install and you can do it yourself if your mechanically inclined or you can have a shop do it it should about an hour each side

In my car

So the $900.00 the mechanic quoted me is totally outrageous (to replace two struts)??

And odds are there is something wrong with the struts were probably faulty to begin with?

In general, how long do struts last on a car with careful/normal driving and great maintenance for the car?

Thanks guys!

CivicxTree754

Registered VIP
Struts are suggested about 50k miles. Most are done by 100k under normal driving id say. 900 may have been all 4 parts and labor. I can see anyone with a labor rate that high.