Sudden loss of gas mileage...What could be the cause?

daveskitz

5+ Year Member
My '96 civic EX has been getting around 350 miles per tank full for as long as I can remember. All of a sudden in the last month or two I barely get 250. Driving habits have not changed and I was wondering what could be the cause of this sudden loss in gas mileage? I do not smell fuel and had garage check for fuel leaks but they found none.

I did a major tune up including fuel filter but minus the pcv valve, which I will replace with next oil change; checked and fixed tire pressure, which was a little low 25 vs 30 fronts and 25 vs 29 on rears; the 02 sensor was replaced this past summer.

The car is leaking oil but I'm not sure from where exactly but after steam cleaning the engine last week, I see oil under the valve cover and distributor.

I did notice that when idling the car sometimes idles with a bit of a rough vibration. It kind of feels like when A/C would kick on but I'm not running A/C this time of year.

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
could be the cold weather... its happened to me too lol

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
First off, :welcome: ;).

Now getting on topic, are you SURE you didn't leave anything out when you did a tune-up? Also, is your car throwing any CEL's? (You didn't mention you were hence why I'm asking).

As for the idle, sounds like maybe a dirty IACV or something.

The only reason why I personally lose MPG is because I put the gas all the way down too much.

daveskitz

5+ Year Member
AliasNeo said:
could be the cold weather... its happened to me too lol
Never happened before in cold weather...
and it's actually been pretty mild for this time of year so far.

daveskitz

5+ Year Member
amej8 said:
First off, :welcome: ;).

Thanks for the welcome!

Now getting on topic, are you SURE you didn't leave anything out when you did a tune-up?
I replaced air filter, fuel filter, distributor cap & rotor, spark plugs and wires. Will change out pcv valve with next oil change.

Also, is your car throwing any CEL's? (You didn't mention you were hence why I'm asking).
As for the idle, sounds like maybe a dirty IACV or something.
I'm not very mechanically inclined so pardon my ignorance but I don't really know you are talking about here.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
CEL = Check Engine Light. An orange light on your cluster that will light up if there is a problem. I'm assuming it's not on since you haven't mentioned it.

As for the tune-up, what about fuel filter, O2 sensor (I know you said you changed it but you sure it's still good?), and fuel injector cleaner?

daveskitz

5+ Year Member
amej8 said:
CEL = Check Engine Light. An orange light on your cluster that will light up if there is a problem. I'm assuming it's not on since you haven't mentioned it.
Boy don't I feel stupid :oops: no CEL is not on.

As for the tune-up, what about fuel filter, O2 sensor (I know you said you changed it but you sure it's still good?), and fuel injector cleaner?
I did the fuel filter but no fuel injector cleaner...any recommendations on which cleaner to use? As far as the 02 sensor...CEL came on this past summer and it was determined by dealer that the 02 sensor needed to be replaced, so that's when it was done. How do I know if it's still good or not? Wouldn't CEL come back on if it were no good anymore?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oh yeah forgot you said you already changed it :smackself:.

As for fuel injector cleaner, it really doesn't matter. Actually, you know what you should try? Seafoam. That helps A LOT. Especially with older cars that are dirty in the internals.

Redbone

Movin on up...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you do the timing belt, water pump, tensioner change out too? That's an important step along the way. Also, did you get a valve adjustment?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
..whens the last time you changed your oil? You didnt mention that you changed the oil w/your last tune-up. Old oil WILL give you bad gas mileage.

daveskitz

5+ Year Member
amej8 said:
As for fuel injector cleaner, it really doesn't matter. Actually, you know what you should try? Seafoam. That helps A LOT. Especially with older cars that are dirty in the internals.
Thanks I'll give that a try.

daveskitz

5+ Year Member
Redbone said:
did you do the timing belt, water pump, tensioner change out too? That's an important step along the way. Also, did you get a valve adjustment?
Timing belt and water pump done about 23, 000 miles ago; not sure about tensioner. No valve adjustment done.

daveskitz

5+ Year Member
EJ6Civic27 said:
..whens the last time you changed your oil? You didnt mention that you changed the oil w/your last tune-up. Old oil WILL give you bad gas mileage.
Oil changed about 2 weeks ago.

iOn

I like pie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no one thinks o2 sensor could be a possibility? :what: might be causing you to run rich... it is a possibility if the usually tune ups do not improve fuel economy. vacuum leaks and ignition problems are common problems also.

daveskitz

5+ Year Member
iOn said:
no one thinks o2 sensor could be a possibility? :what: might be causing you to run rich... it is a possibility if the usually tune ups do not improve fuel economy. vacuum leaks and ignition problems are common problems also.
As far as the 02 sensor...CEL came on this past summer and it was determined by dealer that the 02 sensor needed to be replaced, so that's when it was done.

How do I know if it's still good or not?
Wouldn't CEL come back on if it were no good anymore?

daveskitz

5+ Year Member
Brought the car to the garage and they said if 02 sensor was no good or a problem, then CEL would be on. Also said car soes not need valve adjustment. Iasked them to look more closely for a fuel leak and to check if the brakes are dragging.

This is baffling me...
Any other suggestions???

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is there more weight in the car than you normally have? The extra weight will make the car heivier, therefor making the motor work harder, therefor using up more gas....

daveskitz

5+ Year Member
EJ6Civic27 said:
Is there more weight in the car than you normally have? The extra weight will make the car heivier, therefor making the motor work harder, therefor using up more gas....
Ocassionally a 200lb passenger + a wheelchair :lol: but other than that no.