Suggestions - Good starter replacement engine for tuning - 95 DX, MT

stateofjustin

Looking for all motor suggestions, or at least engines that can start as all motor.

Goals: No major weight gains, decent increase in power over stock with no mods, decent gas mileage when you don't lead foot it. I don't really feel like doing the franken-motor thing either, that's a hard game to play with California emissions standards... I'm too old to have my car at a referee center. So... it needs to be a drop in (appropriate adaptive hardware is fine).

Thinking about replacing the 300K engine in my DX. I may rebuild that engine and keep it for a spare.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you looking for vtec or non vtec?

i would say your best bet would be to go b18 or b20. not a huge weight gain, and not a huge difference in gas mileage either.
my b20 gets about 28 mpg and it dropped it in pretty nicely with some parts needing replacement to b series parts.

stateofjustin

The B18 or 20 requires an ECU/wiring harness swap anyway right? Either works for me, with cost being the balancing point.

If the VTEC motor can be had for the same money or fairly close and is an advantage, I'd go with that. If not, than not.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well the vtec motors are a but more pricy then the non vtec, depending where you get them from. and a harness swap is not required. i swapped my b20 in and still used my y7 harness. just had to do some wiring for the crank fluctuation sensor (necessary if using a usdm ecu and a jdm motor, jdm motors don't have a CKF). might have to do some wiring for the distributor given the motor you are using, and maybe some wiring for the iacv (3 wire to 2 wire) given the platform. its all simple tho and is shown on this website:
http://technet.ff-squad.com/