Sun roof slider

EJ8Metal

5+ Year Member
Okay, so right now I have absolutely 0 interior! No panels or anything, just a dash and two seats. Reason being, I'm re-doing all the interior.

Problem being, I'm doing something kind of cool with the head liner, you'll see if you have seen my build thread, but I have to make the sun roof slider match the head liner, so how do I get it out to re-upholster it? Do I drop the whole sun roof track and have to bust it all open?

Could I figure it out? Absolutely. But with rain on its way, I don't want to start digging into it and be un-prepared.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
yup. gota drop the sunroof out. get a friend or 2 to help you. Its pretty easy, all it is is 2 wire connectors in the back, 4 drain tubes that have pinch fasteners, and about 10-12 bolts i think. Only think that you have to watch out for is that when removing the bolts, don't go in a circle, take them out so that it still has support on the 4 corners until the last few bolts, then have your friends hold it while you undo the last bolts (i think they are all 10mm)

you can do it by yourself (i have done it 2 times by myself) but its a pain and you look crazy., you have to lay your seats back and sit in the middle of them and use your feet to hold the front up while you undo the back.)

anyways, make sure that the sunroof is fully retracted(ie closed) and then set it on the ground as it sits normally in the car(top of glass is facing the sky) there are 2 bolts at the end of the track where the glass goes when you open it, these have to be removed and then you can lift up the 2 catches that stop the slider from going to far. then slide it back and lift it out. It will be a little difficult but you can do it.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT NOTE!!! i haven't looked at your build thread, but whatever covering you do on the visor, you must not cover the slick grey plastic edging that contacts the sliders, if you put ANYTHING on there the visor will be really difficult to reinstall and slide back and forth, you don't see it when it is installed, so there is no point in covering it anyways, but just be sure to not get any glue on it.

EJ8Metal

5+ Year Member
Thanks man! I would go get to work but, the one day this week that it happens to want to rain... DAMN IT.

Very helpful info though! Thanks a million!

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yup take of the sunroof. definetely need 2 ppl or risk denting s**t up and not aligning back smotthly.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
yup take of the sunroof. definetely need 2 ppl or risk denting s*** up and not aligning back smotthly.
agreed, i have a nice little scratch on my center console because i was too excited to get it out (:lol:) what is it that you are doing with your headliner? i read your build thread...said you were doing something special?