Supercharger For B16a Engine??/

InMaVTI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
iwas wondering if theres a supercharger for the b16a engine civic?....I dont wana turbo because it seems like too much hassle n too much money,i dont know much but i heard ur engine messes up n u get problems.I also heard u dont get much problems with a supercharger?.....

is there a good increase in power with a SC? how good compared to a average turbo about the same price?....any info about this topic wud be appreciated. thanks.

krayziejcs

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
limited potential with the SC. Prices are pretty similar(if you buy an actual turbo kit) but the key for an engine to last long is tuning.
here are some prices for SC
http://imoto.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/vortech.html
If you piece up your own kit you'll be lookin at one third of the price

Black Sheep Performance

5+ Year Member
This is unfortunatley a common misconception regarding the supercharger vs. turbo debate.

Turbo's, although they do have more working parts and accessories are no more dangerous than a supercharger as long as they are installed correctly, tuned correctly and cared for correctly. This is not as difficult as it seems.

Superchargers, as stated above already, have very limited potential. Here's an example:

We had a customers car come in, stock GS-R in great shape using the Jackson Racing kit ( 6lb. pulley ). An integra GS-R has 170 horsepower rated by Honda. To the ground you would probably see about 140 - 145 hp. We put the car on the dyno and after 3 different pulls, in both 3rd and 4th gear, the car was only able to produce 189 horsepower.

As you can see, that's basically only 40 - 45 horsepower. Keep in mind this car also had intake, header, exhaust so it may look like 49 but that wasn't all because of the charger. The customer could infact go with a larger pulley but would still push small numbers in comparison to a turbo charged setup.

To answer your question more specifically, superchargers are very limited, similar in price and do not offer a high yield of horsepower for the cost.

InMaVTI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my cars standard at 170 bhp...i wanna take it up to about 230-240,i thought a supercharger would do this most easily n effectively, although a turbo would add way more BHP it would cost more for things like engine inrternals n things or is it true that some turbo upgrades will work good on a stock engine?...surely it would put too much stgrain on the engine?

n whats the differences between the vortech SC n the jackson racing SC?

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Black Sheep Performance said:
This is unfortunatley a common misconception regarding the supercharger vs. turbo debate.

Turbo's, although they do have more working parts and accessories are no more dangerous than a supercharger as long as they are installed correctly, tuned correctly and cared for correctly. This is not as difficult as it seems.

Superchargers, as stated above already, have very limited potential. Here's an example:

We had a customers car come in, stock GS-R in great shape using the Jackson Racing kit ( 6lb. pulley ). An integra GS-R has 170 horsepower rated by Honda. To the ground you would probably see about 140 - 145 hp. We put the car on the dyno and after 3 different pulls, in both 3rd and 4th gear, the car was only able to produce 189 horsepower.

As you can see, that's basically only 40 - 45 horsepower. Keep in mind this car also had intake, header, exhaust so it may look like 49 but that wasn't all because of the charger. The customer could infact go with a larger pulley but would still push small numbers in comparison to a turbo charged setup.

To answer your question more specifically, superchargers are very limited, similar in price and do not offer a high yield of horsepower for the cost.

How bout a dyno chart showing when that much power was made. SC's produce their power down low which is the biggest factor in their "limited" potential. That and it'd just be nice to see a chart once in a while.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
InMaVTI said:
my cars standard at 170 bhp...i wanna take it up to about 230-240,i thought a supercharger would do this most easily n effectively, although a turbo would add way more BHP it would cost more for things like engine inrternals n things or is it true that some turbo upgrades will work good on a stock engine?
find a new source for your information....... quickly

your engine's internals will only handle so much power... it doesnt care if that power is coming from a turbo or from a supercharger...... the supercharger is NO SAFER for your engine than the turbo... not in any way what so ever

superchargers do not have anywhere close to the potential for honda motors as turbo's do......
the one and only upside to s/c's is that superchargers dont have to spool up like turbos do... so even though it produce less power, the power is nearly instanious...

InMaVTI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
would any1 have any advice on which bolt on tuerbo kit is the best for my car?....93 civic Si. Theres so many kits out there, but i cant find 1 for the 5th gen civic si's,just for the newer civics.

Ive read on some of the kits that they would propvind like a 100hp safely on a stock engine,i believed it,lol.is it true? the site was www.turbo-kits.com, it was 1 of there kits,#

theres so many different people saying different things...theat website says it wud bolt on safely porduing upto a 100hp on a stock engine. THEN some of the other kits produce much more hp but are require engine work which is probably true....i aint looking to do any engine work, thats why im opting with a SC.

if its true about no engine work needed for some ofthe smaller turbo kits then maybe id get 1 of them.

InMaVTI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also who knows of any other SC thats better, i kow theres Vortech but they dont make a SC for a 1.6 DOHC. dont know where to find 1 from a different make.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if ur a first timer like i am, hit up the greddy kit for your year, comes w/ everything but the intercooler and blow off, thats the kit that i'm getting + my buddy has had his on his 99 si for about 3yrs now and only had to change out the clutch, thats w/ stock internals and greddy's setting for boost, and thats funny because i've seen more supercharged cars w/ blown motors than turbo'd cars

aemkitfox

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jackson racing is very safe, ive done my share of research and the feedback from actual owners are all pleased. Jackson racing has a base kit runnig a 6psi pulley and yes the power is lacking theyve done their dyno testing in-house and the si went from 138hp ot 190.8hp which doesnt break 200 but is still firm
http://www.jacksonracing.com/CustomerService/DynoChart.aspx?Chart=99civicsi.gif

the kit from Jackson Racing i would go with is the high-boost kit they make for the 1.6L DOHC it comes with hondata 440 injectors and 3 different pulleys: 6, 8, and 11psi. The dyno on this one they did with the 6psi pulley and made 206.8hp which in my opinion is good for such low boost.
http://www.hondata.com/dyno99b16207hpcivic.html
of course since the stock engine can handle 11psi with the tuning ability of the management coming with it i would start off with that one and i have no idea the hp on the 11psi pulley, but i would expect it to be over or around 250.

the good thing with this option is the torque curve is just raised evenly across the board instead of coming in stronger later as with a turbo.
Anyway, turbos are good too.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
aemkitfox said:
the kit from Jackson Racing i would go with is the high-boost kit they make for the 1.6L DOHC it comes with hondata 440 injectors and 3 different pulleys: 6, 8, and 11psi. The dyno on this one they did with the 6psi pulley and made 206.8hp which in my opinion is good for such low boost.
http://www.hondata.com/dyno99b16207hpcivic.html
so are you saying that the JRSC kit comes with stage3 hondata?

and for clarification that's 206.8 hp at the crank i do believe

Last edited:

InMaVTI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for fuks sake theres so many damn options!

il probs go with a supercharger,anything over 210hp should be aite......havnt got my car dyno'd yet,but its got a Sir2 engine,long ram induction kit,decat pipe n exhaust on....how moch break u think itd be kicking out with that on? to say its 170 standard, 185? 190?

im just thinking later might want more than 250 bhp out the car so i might be considering a h22 swap with a turbo,just not sure yet.....i want driveability for now thats why im considering the supercharger but yall know how it is with $$$

im gona check what i need for the h22 swap (i saw a thread on here sumwhere before)

but most likely a supercharger!...n then if i get bored a h22 swap!.......

ive seen a 600bhp civic,h22 swap with a turbo n other mods....f*kkin AWESOME

InMaVTI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also i was wondering about engines, heads n bottom ends?.....some 1 said to me they had a civic with a 2.0 litre bottom end? ....what does that mean?.....it was the normal DOHC head with a different bottom end?i dont think it was a engine swap....just internal engine work,is tyat possible or do u have to have a diffenent engine froma 2.0 litre car?

rickles8099

Faster than you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
InMaVTI said:
im just thinking later might want more than 250 bhp out the car so i might be considering a h22 swap with a turbo,just not sure yet.....i want driveability for now thats why im considering the supercharger but yall know how it is with $$$
right there you should stop and think... how likely are you to eventually go with a h22 swap? im asking because if you get a supercharger and down the road go with a h22 swap, you cannot use the supercharger. you will have to go out and get one made for the h22.

if you go with a turbo setup now, and then do the h22 swap down the road, you will just have to get a new exhaust manifold and rerun your chargepiping, and retune.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've heard the h22's don't like the boost that much, like i said i've "heard"