Suspension Coilover or Lowering springs?

JDM_34

Alright so i'm new to this site i have a eg coupe.
And i wanted to see if anyone can tell me what would be better for a daily driver some coilovers? not full coilover kits. or Lowering Springs?
i am looking into getting the Megan Coilover Hi Lo Kit here is a pic

or these lowering springs

If you
have any more options on what coilovers i can get tell me which ones and where i can get em my budget is abou 180-200 dollars it is for a daily driver so i am not looking for something expensive

I would also like to know how much it would cost to do a 5 speed conversion?
thanks

Daddy_Digital

Haters make me FAMOUS!
Registered VIP
i think you should get lowering springs. coil over sleeves will break. i also recommend upgrading your shocks too. OEM shocks are not made for lowering springs or coil over sleeves. if you want a good shock that wont break the bank, go with Tokico. sure, some people will say that its ok to have lowering springs on OEM shocks, but the shocks with pop and then you will be forced to replace the one that popped or all of them. do it right the first time and you wont have any problems. look on craigslist. sometimes ull get lucky and get used set with the shocks and springs for a good price.

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
Don't waste your money. Save up about $600 then get function/form or progress CS-II.

Or save up a bit more and buy Koni/GC

You're flushing money down the toilet with cheap suspension mods.

slwrthnu

Car Ramrod
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Full coilovers. If you want to go low full coilovers will be your best bet.. May bet a little bit of a stiff ride like mine but you get used to it. I had D2 springs at one point and they were bouncy as a bastard, got rid of those quick.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow these responses... :smackself

i think you should get lowering springs. coil over sleeves will break. i also recommend upgrading your shocks too. OEM shocks are not made for lowering springs or coil over sleeves. if you want a good shock that wont break the bank, go with Tokico. sure, some people will say that its ok to have lowering springs on OEM shocks, but the shocks with pop and then you will be forced to replace the one that popped or all of them. do it right the first time and you wont have any problems. look on craigslist. sometimes ull get lucky and get used set with the shocks and springs for a good price.
Not all coilover sleeves will break. The Megan Racing ones he's looking at, possibly. But ones like Skunk2 and Ground Control are very durable and reliable. I agree you should upgrade the shocks, however, the Tokico blue shocks are OE replacements. They will not handle a lot of lowering springs, esp if they slam the car and/or have high spring rates. It's not as easy as just slapping some random shocks on with some random springs. There's a little more to it than that to make it work properly.

Don't waste your money. Save up about $600 then get function/form or progress CS-II.

Or save up a bit more and buy Koni/GC

You're flushing money down the toilet with cheap suspension mods.
You can have a pretty good spring/shock setup for under $500. Since this is a just a street driven car, a coilover setup may be completely unnecessary. I wouldn't completely rule out his options and say he's wasting money..

Full coilovers. If you want to go low full coilovers will be your best bet.. May bet a little bit of a stiff ride like mine but you get used to it. I had D2 springs at one point and they were bouncy as a bastard, got rid of those quick.
Considering he's looking at Megan Racing lowering springs that only lower around 1.75", he may not want to be slammed to the ground or even want/need a stiff ride. Like my response to the previous post, if you know what you want out of your suspension, a simple shock/spring combo can get the job done for cheap.

Alright so i'm new to this site i have a eg coupe.
And i wanted to see if anyone can tell me what would be better for a daily driver some coilovers? not full coilover kits. or Lowering Springs?
i am looking into getting the Megan Coilover Hi Lo Kit here is a pic

or these lowering springs

If ya'll have any more options on what coilovers i can get tell me which ones and where i can get em my budget is abou 180-200 dollars it is for a daily driver so i am not looking for something expensive

I would also like to know how much it would cost to do a 5 speed conversion?
thanks
First, what kind of shocks do you currently have? I personally would stay away from Megan Racing, I don't trust their products very much. Hell they can't even get their description on their products right. "- Spring rate 450 lb/ft Front and 350 lb/ft Rear". lb/ft? I think they mean lbs/in... lol.

Anyways, there's a number of other lowering springs in your price range that have been proven to be good and reliable.

Tein S.Tech springs. $150 shipped on eBay. These are a very popular lowering spring.They offer a pretty good drop, around a 2" drop, a lot of people tend to like the stance they get from them. They also ride pretty smooth as they work well with stock and aftermarket shocks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=120672778523&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid=7060394070335657520

Eibach ProKit springs. $220shipped on eBay. These offer a very mild drop with fairly soft springs. These would work well with the stock shocks or most aftermarket shocks. Would offer a great ride on the street but they are nothing extreme. They only lower about 1.4" front and 1.2" rear.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EIBACH-PROKIT-LOWERING-SPRINGS-92-95-HONDA-CIVIC-/180559527993?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0a2fc039

Eibach Sportline springs. $180 shipped on eBay. These have a decent drop, 1.6" drop, but are fairly stiff springs. You'll get better handling but the ride will most likely be more rough. For these springs I'd suggest getting the Eibach shocks since those shocks are probably better tailored for their own springs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eibach-Sportline-Springs-4-1740-Honda-Civic-Civic-Si-/160519140987?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255fafb67b

H&R Sport springs. $190 shipped on eBay. Similar drop to the Eibach Spotline springs, 1.5-1.75" drop, but these springs are a tiny bit stiffer than the Eibach Sportlines. You'll want aftermarket shocks for these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H-R-SPORT-SPRINGS-92-95-HONDA-CIVIC-51864-/180559533707?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0a2fd68b

Progress Sport springs. $175 shipped on eBay. These offer a pretty mild drop, 1.5" all around. Progress is a great suspension company and has a good reputation. These springs have similar spring rates as the Tien S.Techs, they probably ride about the same but just don't lower as much. This would probably be the best street spring as they are soft and don't lower the car much. It would offer smooth handling, a little better performance over stock and you wont have to worry about scraping on anything.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-00-Honda-Civic-Progress-Lowering-Drop-Springs-1-5-/120562507880?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1215e068

Skunk2 Springs. $460 shipped on eBay for their shock/spring combo. These drop the car quite a bit, 2"-2.2", and are very stiff. This is quite an extreme spring setup and probably not the most comfortable ride for a street car. If you want to maximize your handling for cheap, this might be a decent setup. I imagine the Skunk2 shocks offer a harsh ride with most other springs because they are probably tailored for very stiff springs like their own. These would probably offer the least comfortable ride out of all mentioned.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SKUNK2-Sport-Shocks-Lowering-Springs-92-00-Civic-EG-EK-/250701287276?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Civic|Make:Honda&hash=item3a5ef60f6c

Tokico Springs. Probably the cheapest if you can find them without shocks. These offer a very mild drop, 1.5" all around(similar to the Progress springs). They are very soft springs, a little stiffer than stock though. I do not know the spring rates(yet) but I have these springs on my daily driver. They offer a very comfortable ride on the street with a mild drop.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-92-00-HONDA-CIVIC-DX-LX-EX-SI-/320656833070?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Honda|Model:Civic&hash=item4aa8a2fa2e

Now, as mention, some of those springs you need aftermarket shocks. That's another ~$300shipped for a good set. If you have stock shocks right now, I'd only suggest either the Tein S.Tech, Eibach ProKit, Progress Sports, or the Tokico Springs. The others, you'll need aftermarket shocks or the ride will suck and your shocks will wear prematurely.

If you can wait and save up about $600, then you open up a lot more options including some very good coilover setups. However if you're set with a $200 budget, you're a bit limited.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ probably the best post I've seen on this site in awhile. That info should help a lot, I might even save it for myself.

OP I would save up some more cash and get a shock spring combo. I had skunk2 springs on my EJ1 and after awhile the shocks did go bad and the ride was terrible.

OT I seen an accord that was bouncing on the highway the other night. Literally, flat road and he was bouncing constantly and sparks kept flying from under the car. He eventually crept at 30 in a 55, point is - Don't go cheap!

chitownJDM

^ probably the best post I've seen on this site in awhile. That info should help a lot, I might even save it for myself.

OP I would save up some more cash and get a shock spring combo. I had skunk2 springs on my EJ1 and after awhile the shocks did go bad and the ride was terrible.

OT I seen an accord that was bouncing on the highway the other night. Literally, flat road and he was bouncing constantly and sparks kept flying from under the car. He eventually crept at 30 in a 55, point is - Don't go cheap!

i was going to put skunk2 on my EJ1 as well, all the teggy and EM1 drivers i know told me to stay away from skunk2 suspension. they all recommended yonaka coilovers and tein. the difference between them is price. yonaka has coilovers entry level for an 92-95 civic for 599.99 on clubcivic.com. statracing.com had them for 539.99, yonaka sells them for 900!