swap or rebuild

TITANSxEj1

I have a d16z6 VTEC currently has 250k on it is it better to just swap it or buy a rebuild kit. I'm not sure how many miles the rebuild will take off it though. Keep in mind if I swap I need a low compression engine that will handle boost well as a plan to turbo and run at maybe 7-10 psi

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Well need a power goal and a budget limit to answer this.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
B16/B18 motors will hold boost well. 7-10psi isn't much for a motor. My B18B was pushing 9.5psi with stock internals, my only issue was the head bolts stretched after a while and the head started lifting under boost. Nothing some ARP studs couldn't handle :cool:

Like stated by the previous poster though, it really depends on your power goal and budget.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A rebuild Could put that motor back to zero miles; Like brand-new.

Swap is a used motor with milage; Not new, Never new. Unless your swapping in a new motor.

TITANSxEj1

Its my first civic so I'm not sure what good numbers are for these car budget is limited I saw 2 rebuild kit for about $330-$460 if I remember right I'd rather not have to upgrade internals unless I need to but HP wise I'll say 200-250 to the wheels would be good enough for me

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Its my first civic so I'm not sure what good numbers are for these car budget is limited I saw 2 rebuild kit for about $330-$460 if I remember right I'd rather not have to upgrade internals unless I need to but HP wise I'll say 200-250 to the wheels would be good enough for me
If that is the ballpark of your "budget" just save up for a while and buy a low mileage engine. At that point simply enjoy the MPG and cheap insurance.