Swap Questions

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I have a 99 4dr EX with a D16Y8 and this car is my daily. I have 08 350Z so I want this civic to get good MPG, pass state inspection, but I also want a motor that has a little more go than my D16. I am trying to figure what would be cheaper as I don't want to spend to much money of the motor, I rather spent it on painting the car white.

If I keep my D16 the head gasket needs repair. It only overheats on the highway but when I turn on the heater it drops down almost to the half way point. I blocked tested the motor and exhaust gas is leaking into the coolant but I haven't done a cylinder leak down test so I am not sure if it's a crack head or the gasket. My worst fear when I tear it down the block needs attention as well, like bearings for example.

I am not sure if I want to install a B18b or B20b (the B20 engine is cheaper) but I would like the one that would get me the most MPG and be cheaper overall to install. That being said I would like a 99 or higher engine because I read they have more HP and comes with a knock sensor.

I have read if I get a B18b/b20b that's is 99-00 that I need a P75 ECU which has an immobilizer. I have read about using a dummy immobilizer chips but assuming my 99 civic ECU has an immobilizer why can't I swap them? So far I read that you can't swap prelude immobilizer chips, is that true? If I can't swap them what brand immobilizer dummy chip do yall recommend that will not throw a CEL (check engine light)? Another stupid question is a immobilizer dummy chip the same as a emulator immobilizer chip? Also, would buying a jumper harness for OBD2b to OBD2a would fix the CEL or is jumper harness just so you don't have to repin the connector according to your swapped motor ECU?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm not sure why you started another thread with essentially the same topic?
Regardless, save your money, save from rewiring, and keep your transmission, mounts and axles, rebuild the y8.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I'm not sure why you started another thread with essentially the same topic?
Regardless, save your money, save from rewiring, and keep your transmission, mounts and axles, rebuild the y8.

Sorry, I guess I should have put all this in the other thread. Also, the more research I am doing it looks like it would be cheaper overall to just rebuild my Y8. I just don't want to spend close to 2g on rebuilding it which seems to about the same price of B18b motor and transmission.

jnewman0910

Respected
Sorry, I guess I should have put all this in the other thread. Also, the more research I am doing it looks like it would be cheaper overall to just rebuild my Y8. I just don't want to spend close to 2g on rebuilding it which seems to about the same price of B18b motor and transmission.
I feel you I've thought the same I recently bought a 97 civic ex same motor as yours d16y8 and just like you realized that rebuilding the engine would be about the same as a b series swap. Also realized that with my options being either swap or turbo and me needing to to rebuild first it just seems better to swap you can get more power with the b series is what it came down to for me with all the reading I've done... I could be wrong tho still learning

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe, but at least you'll have some history with your current motor, you know what was done and when.
If you get a B swap and just plan on dropping it in, you have no idea about the motor you're getting.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Maybe, but at least you'll have some history with your current motor, you know what was done and when.
If you get a B swap and just plan on dropping it in, you have no idea about the motor you're getting.
I guess I should do some research on what mods would make a Y8 more responsive and still get good mpg. I just wish it a little more go and I would be happy.