Swaying at high speeds

justintaken

Okay so I had some rims which were 15x7 with a +35 offset with 205/50/15r falken azenis. I didn't like the look of those rims so I bought some new wider rims 15x8 with a +20 offset with 195/45/15r toyo proxy tires. The whole point I'm trying to get to is when o was on a empty freeway I decided to do a little pull so I was going about 105 and my car started swaying like crazy with this new wheel setup, but with my older setup it was solid if never ever swayed. I just wanted to know why it started doing this, someone please tell me why
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Could be the fact that you stretched a 195mm tire over a 8" (203.2mm) wheel.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree. You should be on a 225 or 215 at the narrowest.

justintaken

I know but there is really no stretch at all, I can show you some pics if you want. Do you think a sway bar will help or what will, other than getting a fatter tire.

justintaken

I agree. You should be on a 225 or 215 at the narrowest.
But the last tire I had was a 205 and it was basically stuck to the ground, no shaking or swaying at all anytime any speeds,what do you think will help rather than getting a fatter tire because that isn't a option for me

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
thats the technical way but not all setups allows you to run bigger tires without having rubbing issues, being that you went with wider low offset wheels i take it that your civic is dumped. ususally slammed civic can't run tires sizes bigger then 50s with out having to revert your ride height back up... which would defeat the whole reason why you drop slammed it. also 195 on a 8" wide rims have good amount of stretch but then again i had a friend that ran 195 45 15 on his kruger wheels which are 15x9 0 offsett on his 87 cressida and the car drove fine. also i would check your alignment and your suspension setting it can be slightly off small thiing like those get more noticable with lower profile tires

justintaken

thats the technical way but not all setups allows you to run bigger tires without having rubbing issues, being that you went with wider low offset wheels i take it that your civic is dumped. ususally slammed civic can't run tires sizes bigger then 50s with out having to revert your ride height back up... which would defeat the whole reason why you drop slammed it. also 195 on a 8" wide rims have good amount of stretch but then again i had a friend that ran 195 45 15 on his kruger wheels which are 15x9 0 offsett on his 87 cressida and the car drove fine. also i would check your alignment and your suspension setting it can be slightly off small thiing like those get more noticable with lower profile tires
Yes my car is low but it's not dumped either, it's the same height as my last setup. What would you recommend reduces the swaying?

It's my daily driver so I wouldn't go any lower

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i would check your ball joints and get your alignment re checked. alignment is the key to keep the car from swaying or moving to the sides even with the wheel straight

justintaken

the wheel covering the plate are 15x9 with 0 offset with 195 45 15s and the the 240 is runing 235s on 18x9.5
At regular speeds it's perfectly fast just one once I get in to the higher speeds like 100+ that's when it did that, I accelerate fast and it's still solid just at those high speeds

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
yea my buddy has heavy foot and always roasting tires in all his cars these things normally aren't noticable if at all in low speeds its always in high speeds

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
that white 240 has fully built sr20det making 500hp, also just remember that you should also check your wheel bearing i had really bad ones on my previous civic it was completely shot to a point only my axle nut held the wheels together and at 50 the front would slide side to side... scariest thing ever to do

dancam

Registered VIP
If it was fine with one set of tires and swayed with another set i would say your problem is the tires, not the car. Or am i missing something here?

justintaken

If it was fine with one set of tires and swayed with another set i would say your problem is the tires, not the car. Or am i missing something here?

I changed the size of wheel from 15x7 to 15x8 and the tire size from 205 to 195.

NeedsMoreLow

that white 240 has fully built sr20det making 500hp, also just remember that you should also check your wheel bearing i had really bad ones on my previous civic it was completely shot to a point only my axle nut held the wheels together and at 50 the front would slide side to side... scariest thing ever to do
If his bearings were bad, it would shake a heck of a lot sooner than 100mph.

Not sent from my iPhone using tapatalk.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
After seeing your wheel/tire combo I recommend you go over your suspension integrity, bushings and then your alignment.