Symptoms of a bad wheel bearing?

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just noticed an odd noise from the front of my car the other day, was doin about 50. Initially i thought it was my intake but when i let off the gas and coast the noise continues. Sounds a bit like a fan going fast then slow, like VVVVVvvvvvvVVVVVVvvvv (buts its defo not the fan b4 anyone suggests that)

Tracking seems fine and tires look okay, there's no grinding or clonking, any way of checking if it is the wheel bearing without simply replacing it and hoping thats whats wrong?

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just noticed an odd noise from the front of my car the other day, was doin about 50. Initially i thought it was my intake but when i let off the gas and coast the noise continues. Sounds a bit like a fan going fast then slow, like VVVVVvvvvvvVVVVVVvvvv (buts its defo not the fan b4 anyone suggests that)

Tracking seems fine and tires look okay, there's no grinding or clonking, any way of checking if it is the wheel bearing without simply replacing it and hoping thats whats wrong?
Usually with a bad wheel bearing, if you have the car in gear (5spd), jack just one side up. If the wheel has any play in it, you could suspect a bad wheel bearing. Usually what I do is just pull the wheel off and then expect from there. They are fairly cheap to replace and a good idea if you don't have an idea how long they have been on the car.

Other then that, the noise you describe can be a number of things if it's not the wheel bearing.

drekoe

5+ Year Member
about how "cheap" would it be to replace the two front wheel bearings? and is it easy to do? if it is, i might do it myself

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
about how "cheap" would it be to replace the two front wheel bearings? and is it easy to do? if it is, i might do it myself
it is simple but you need a hydraulic press to press the hub out of the knuckle which then let you get to the bearing.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was quoted at $97 for my rear wheel bearing. and you'll know if its the wheel bearing. it will make an annoying whining noise

2000sicivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Paid 250 for honda to change my front one, just jack your car up and if you can move the wheel in all directions then it is the wheel bearing

98blackej6

5+ Year Member
jack up the and rmove the tire, the hub assembly should spin freely, any resistance at any point you need to replace the wheel bearing.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Try listening for the noise when you turn. When my front driver side wheel bearing went, I would hear this "wub wub wub" noise whenever I turned. Eventually, I felt the shaking in the steering wheel and heard it going straight as well.

I spent somewhere around $100 to get it fixed at a local shop.

EM1FTW

5+ Year Member
it is simple but you need a hydraulic press to press the hub out of the knuckle which then let you get to the bearing.
you can also buy/borrow s pecial tool that fits parway in the bearing. then you hit it with a really big hammer.

the press is more needed for putting the new bearing in.

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Try listening for the noise when you turn. When my front driver side wheel bearing went, I would hear this "wub wub wub" noise whenever I turned. Eventually, I felt the shaking in the steering wheel and heard it going straight as well.

I spent somewhere around $100 to get it fixed at a local shop.
Thought this thread had died, anyway being as its been brought back to life, i'm still having the problem, and yes it does make a wub wub wub sound when i turn in - its hard to tell which side its commin from though. Not felt any shaking through the steering wheel yet.
I've jacked up both wheels and there doesn't seem to be any play in either of em. I went out and bought the bearing a while ago but i've yet to get it fitted, I wanna make sure i identify the correct wheel first!

drekoe

5+ Year Member
I wanna make sure i identify the correct wheel first!
if you're gonna do it yourself, i'd say do both at the same time.

i was doing some research and found that it might be my wheel bearing or wheel hub. let me explain and you guys let me know what you think. as i take off from a stop, if i accelerate normal, it makes no noise. if i step on it alittle bit more than normal, it makes that annoying screeching sound. makes the noise in all gears only if i step on it. if i let off the gas, the noise goes away. there is no wub wub sound at all when turning. had both axles replaced due to torn boots a while back. the annoying sound only comes from right side.

Vespabretta

Honda civic bearing

The humming sound from the front is 90% front bearing gne bad. You can't do it on your own,you need a hydraulic press to do it to push the old one out and the new one in,but not an expensive process .
Bearing for honda civic 2007model is (my car) DAC4378W-1(Koyo bearing) remember its for front wheel.both wheels of front have same bearings.
The humming noise will definitely do away.
The bearing alone cost me 35$/wheel or 2000 Indian rupees.
The car is running like a charm now,no noise.

RonJ

Banned
The humming sound from the front is 90% front bearing gne bad. You can't do it on your own,you need a hydraulic press to do it to push the old one out and the new one in,but not an expensive process .
Bearing for honda civic 2007model is (my car) DAC4378W-1(Koyo bearing) remember its for front wheel.both wheels of front have same bearings.
This thread is 5 years old. The OP has likely fixed the problem.

drmgmenon

Hi, can you let me know where you got the bearings changed?at dealer they are quoting around 16K.thanks in advance.