Tachometer and Speedometer aren't working .

eK_Sedan

No, I haven't done that . But I have inspected it, looks like a flat head has been in there before .

Are you seeing the picture I am posting of the wire connector ?

RonJ

Banned
The picture is too small to see any detail.

If the wire of the ECT sensor had a short or open, it would throw a code.

Adjust the the base idle speed as per the service manual - you need an external tachometer and you need to jump the service connector.

eK_Sedan

What would I use as a external tachometer, a obd2 scanner ?

eK_Sedan

I think I might of found my problem, the head gasket is starting to go . I took off the oil cap and looked at it, there was a lot of milky build up inside the cap. I looked into the hole in the valve cover and see a few bolts inside that had a bit of the milky substance .. So oil is mixing with the coolant, I also noticed a small leak of coolant underneath the ECT sensor between the head and block, where the gasket is. I don't think it was torqued to spec properly .. aannndddd I smell burning coolant like no tomorrow. I was not smelling this before .

It kind of explains the car only acting up when its a normal operating temp ..

RonJ

Banned
Yep, blown head gasket. Good luck. I hope for your sake that the engine was not severely overheated. Otherwise, you'll save many headaches by just replacing the engine.

eK_Sedan

It wasn't a head gasket ..... turned out to be my PCV Valve, it had soo much gunk/build up I guess it stuck closed. On top of that the hose had either collasped on itself or the P.O put a kink/crimp in it to make it work. A quick trip to Honda and I got a new hose and a PCV, replaced both car idles and runs A LOT smoother. I was able to make a round trip to L.A and back without a problem .. So before you want to sell or drive or car off a cliff because of code P0505 I'd replace the PCV, it sure helped me and a friend who was having the same problem with his 99' Si with a b16a2 ..

I had to update this, because it seems that every post I read about this the O.P wouldn't return to say what fixed it. Lol

And thanks again RonJ, you were a lot of help !

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had to update this, because it seems that every post I read about this the O.P wouldn't return to say what fixed it. Lol
Thank you for updating. You are right, most people don't update when the problem is fixed.