tape player broken

nancy cilantro

Hello, i have a question that im guessing is common but cant seem to find any answers. I have a 95 civic and the tape deck keeps switching sides but not playing the tape. Before you tell me "why are u using a tape player still" recognize i wouldnt be asking how to fix it if i didnt want a tape player. I listen to tapes and thats great so deal with it. Any solutions other than going to a junk yard and finding another tape player that might not work either????? Thank s for yer help!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Something mechanical is clearly broken. Being such an out of date piece of equipment, your safest and least expensive option would be to acquire another factory tape player. Otherwise, removing the unit and taking it apart to repair or replace the defective part wouldnt be worth the time and cost more than its worth.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You are jumping people's case and no one has even helped you on here or has even heard of you. Why do you automatically assume that our members are going to harass you about it being a tape player? :lol: :lol:

Being that it is in fact an ancient technology that has long been replaced (hell CD players are going to start becoming obsolete soon with digital being so popular now), there is no feasible fix unfortunately. Especially if searching didn't bring anything up. People have long stopped caring about tapes and tape decks and the threads have gone down into the depths of the archives or deleted for good due to no activity or attention.

That being said, your only option is to find another one somewhere. Who knows, dig around on the net, someone has to have one sitting in a drawer or tool box. If those dudes on American Pickers can find old record players in barns, someone is bound to have an automotive tape deck out there somewhere. Worst case scenario, get an aftermarket unit and ditch the factory one. Most were garbage to begin with.

nancy cilantro

Not trying to get on anyones case i just know what i dont want is the useless reply of my choice to like tapes is wrong so why bother. Glad no one has said that. I probably end up just getting a new one damnit. I really dont think tapes are dead there are for sure enthusiasts of analog out there. Just so happens punks usually cant afford new cars.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive come across Honda factory tape & CD players in multiple places, such as thrift shops, junkyards, and on ebay. It shouldnt be that difficult to find one for more than $40 or so at the most. At this point it may be a pricey novelty.

I wont question your desire to stick with tapes, but its a safe assumption youre likely over 40 and keep things classic and simple. If it suits your needs then it your prerogative and thats what counts :-) Hell, Im surprised the tapes have lasted you this long.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive come across Honda factory tape & CD players in multiple places, such as thrift shops, junkyards, and on ebay. It shouldnt be that difficult to find one for more than $40 or so at the most. At this point it may be a pricey novelty.

I wont question your desire to stick with tapes, but its a safe assumption youre likely over 40 and keep things classic and simple. If it suits your needs then it your prerogative and thats what counts :-) Hell, Im surprised the tapes have lasted you this long.
Yeah. Main reason why they didn't hold. Tapes died as a medium because they wear out. Same as cds. You can play a digital file millions of times and it never wears out.

What I dont get is why the obsession? I can understand record players because many consider that to be true and raw music quality and lend a huge touch of nostalgia. Tapes were always poor quality and fade terribly over time.

It has nothing to do with cost. You can get a basic bluetooth or usb head unit for $50 and can store 100x the music on a $10 thumbdrive or on a cell phone than you can on a tape. You are going to spend more than that finding a tape deck and then replacing the tapes over and over again.

If it is a collectible thing to you, I get it then. People collect the weirdest crap. I myself am a huge comic book guy. Most say whats the use, same as tapes died so will new comics with the forcing of digital age. Print is dying.

And yes to most of society tapes are dead. Maybe not to the select few that won't let go, but to the rest they are but a memory of a medium that died very quickly.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Yeah. Main reason why they didn't hold. Tapes died as a medium because they wear out. Same as cds. You can play a digital file millions of times and it never wears out.

What I dont get is why the obsession? I can understand record players because many consider that to be true and raw music quality and lend a huge touch of nostalgia. Tapes were always poor quality and fade terribly over time.

It has nothing to do with cost. You can get a basic bluetooth or usb head unit for $50 and can store 100x the music on a $10 thumbdrive or on a cell phone than you can on a tape. You are going to spend more than that finding a tape deck and then replacing the tapes over and over again.

If it is a collectible thing to you, I get it then. People collect the weirdest crap. I myself am a huge comic book guy. Most say whats the use, same as tapes died so will new comics with the forcing of digital age. Print is dying.

And yes to most of society tapes are dead. Maybe not to the select few that won't let go, but to the rest they are but a memory of a medium that died very quickly.
Which comics?

nancy cilantro

Tons of bands still put out music on tapes. Theres also a sort of compression that happens when you mix onto a tape. A sort of poor mans mastering. Yes tapes degrade. As a matter of fact all mediums of music have their downsides. Hard drives crash. Clouds are trapped in the internet.... im 28 good try.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have been building and fixing computers for about 7 years now as a hobby for friends and family and only have 1 that had a hard drive crash and it was due to an impact. Every tap I had back in the day that I loved and listened to the most degraded and most of them ended up tearing or dying. The comparison is a bleak one in the pro tape category.

Nothing is trapped on the internet. The recent leak of nude pictures of multiple celebrity women is proof of that.

As far as comics bloodshot, mostly marvel, Had thousands and sold them down to a couple hundred when we shut the business down 5 years ago and I needed money. Have about 100 TPBs as well.

my93civic

How did this turn from tape player broken to comic books. Never mind I didn't thourghly read some posts my bad

my93civic

Why not just start a new thread in the off topic section so people don't get confused. Maybe I'm just being anal sorry

my93civic

I understand but if you want to talk about comics you'll get more replies and views with the specific thread

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I'm not really looking to have a whole conversation here, it was oddball banter on my part. See here is an example below.....

If you want to make a thread about thread jacking, you should make a thread about it in the site suggestion section. This way you'll get more replies and views with a specific thread.

See, that's how you do it!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you had a New Mutants #98 that would be sweeeet
Ahh, the first appearance of deadpool. Yes, I did have it at one time. Mine was in good condition (not a high grade quality) and brought me a couple hundred at the time which was much needed. Ones that are in higher condition sell for quite a bit and ones in near mint go for a LOT. I had the first appearance of Wolverine (Hulk #180 and #181). Very mad I let those go. Sometimes in life gotta do what you gotta do to keep a roof over your head and stuff like this can be bought back.

Wolverine is my favorite character. He is a good bulk of what I still have and have reacquired over the last couple years. I am losing my gusto for collecting though. A lot of what I have been buying lately is TPBs which still give me the reading satisfaction but aren't very collectible. Don't really have to worry about them getting destroyed either like I did with the expensive first runs.

I'm not really looking to have a whole conversation here, it was oddball banter on my part...
Lol. It's all good. If I thought this thread was going to keep up the track of what it was originally intended, I would have moved our comments into a thread of their own but this thread will die out and anyone coming in here in the future gets their answer within the first couple posts.

He is just sour because he brings nothing to the conversation. He has intentionally diverted a couple threads or participated in ones that were pulled off topic (eg: the best wheel thread). He'll move on.