temp gauge too low: 97 lx

markss

Civic 97 lx sedan 1.6L- 450K
Recently changed thermostat to stop spillage of coolant. Burped radiator procedure followed to prevent any future problems . (all done in Sept 2016)

However this month, it seems that the temp gauge moves ever so slowly up to maybe 1/4 the position it should be, and it stays there. (usually half way up).

Replaced Honda stock Thermostat with NAPA version. Rated at 180 degrees Celsius.
When I did replace I noticed when driving from "cold start" the gauge did take longer to reach usual height; but it did reach the height of the original eventually.

Faulty Thermostat ? (no problem with spillage of coolant though)
Any answers out there.
Mark

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Post a picture of where the needle reaches because we dont know what you think is "where its suppose to be". Typically, its at about the midpoint of the gauge. If it was higher than that before then its possible that your old thermostat or coolant sensor were off or your car was operating higher than it was suppose to be.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You can test the T-stat by pulling it and dropping it in nearly boiling water. You should see it open up quickly. If it doesn't, replace it again. It's not that uncommon for them to fail new out of the box or shortly after.

You also might want to top off coolant and bleed the coolant system again just to confirm that no air remains in the system.