Temp Guage Not moving

TexRodeo

I have read all over the internet to no avail and there is not an exact scenario that is like this with a 7th Gen Civic.

I have thus far been very impressed with this particular Civic forum website and I have gotten two of my fiddly items crossed off my list with my Civic. So sticking with an "o for 2" winning thing here, I have another query that is somewhat annoying.

OK, So here Goes, When I recently purchased "Sian", My '03 Civic EX Sedan. I first noticed with the cooling system that there didn't seem to be any color to my coolant, so I would assume that the Radiator and the coolant bottle would both be full of mostly water, that's one thing that I know I should address soon with the heat of another Hot and Humid North Carolina Summer coming fast.

Again, I have no Service Engine Light Illuminated or Any other warning lights of any kind so I am kind of doubting the ECT Sensor is at fault as it never tripped a light, But again, Auto-Mechanic I'm Not. So my question is would there be something other than the afore mentioned cooling system needing to be flushed that would cause this gauge not to move at all?

I have heard the electric fans come on, right on cue...So I doubt very seriously that there is an issue with the cooling system so much.

But this inoperable gauge does seem like yet another on a short list of fiddly little or minor repairs that need doing that I have run into thus far.

Any Ideas I should check?

Larry

speedkilla197

Does your check engine light come on when you turn the key to "ACC"? Does it lit up or do you not see it at all even when starting the car?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TexRodeo

Yeah speedkilla197, of course, just as my owner's manual describes, So I can safely say, No Burned out light there.

I also see the light come on in the Accessory Mode (Key Position II). In fact it even lights steady and then goes out when the car is started, just as it should normally. No surprises there...LOL

TexRodeo

boofoo,

Yeah I kinda figured that was a Bad thing for this lil engine. Yeah I thought drain the block and the radiator and use some nice new coolant. Something Like Pentosin Pentofrost A3 which is supposedly a phosphated organic acid technology, suitable for all Asian vehicles using "blue" Antifreeze/Coolant.

Self Diagnostic Procedure? Where in the Service Guide is that procedure located. BTW I downloaded that "Honda Civic EP3 (02-03) Service Manual" PDF file from that site.

TexRodeo

boofoo,

I saw the temp Gauge trouble shooting section under the Diagnostic test routine in the Service Manual. Yeah I finally got "Ms. Sian" to go into the Instrument Panel Diagnostic Mode. Yeah, All the Lights blinked as it said. The Gauges all swept along to the top and back again and the Digital Odometer didn't indicate an Error. But the only thing that wasn't as described, was from the Temp Gauge, It never seemed to make it all the way to Maximum. During the Diagnostic, The temp Gauge needle went up nearly halfway and then back to Minimum.

One other thing I noticed that was different from this particular service manual was that the Fuse 10 in the under hood fuses is a 40AMP fuse that is for the ABS Motor. The only 7.5AMP Fuse is the interior dome lights and they seem to work fine. The Under the Dash or the interior fuse panel, fuse 9 was in fact a 10AMP fuse and it was fine also. I wonder if it makes any difference that this is an American version Civic from Torrance California, near L.A.?

Larry

TexRodeo

boofoo,

Yeah I was sort of afraid of that. I guess my run of good luck for easy fixes was bound to run out eventually....LOL Anyways, I Guess this is where it starts to get pricey, Yeah? Perhaps I could locate another instrument panel in one of the local salvage yards. But the question is, would I need to worry about my odometer mileage or is that stored elsewhere, such as in the ECM? And hopefully not the instrument panel somewhere. Ya know, I also bet that the replacement instrument Panel would need to be from another '03 Civic EX with my luck...LOL

But yeah maybe we could do the last ditch effort of testing the Multiplex codes and pray that it isn't any worse, such as ECM issues, But I would somewhat doubt that and really do hope that it isn't the ECM. But Judging by the way the car runs, That the Electronic Fans come on when they are supposed to and finally, that she has not been showing any warning indicators or Service Engine Lights, I would personally think that by process of logical elimination that it isn't the ECM that is the culprit in this case.

Larry