Temperature gauge constantly just below H

illegal tender

Hello all,

When I turn my key to the On position (car still off though) in my 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe, the temperature gauge needle immediately shoots up to a quarter. Once the car is on and fully warm, it stays at exactly three notches below the Hot line. It never wavers from that point from then on.

I've flushed the coolant (and bled the air from the system) and replaced the temp sensor, both to no avail. I did quite a bit of research but couldn't find a separate temp sender part like most cars -- including older Civics -- have that sends the temp to the gauge. Does this part exist for the 2001 Civic and if so, does anyone have a part number or diagram of where it is under the hood?

I honestly can't tell whether the gauge is just off -- it is strange that it jumps immediately to a quarter when it is still cold -- or if it is actually getting hotter than it should. I do, however, think that the radiator fans do not kick in early enough so I will be replacing the radiator fan switch when I get home from work tonight.

If anyone has any input on what could be causing the temp gauge to sit just below the Hot line I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan

RonJ

Banned
Run the self diagnosis procedure on the gauge cluster.

Also check for codes from the multiplex control unit.