The battery light turns on under high electrical load

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
so i have a system running off my battery and also have my hids. if i am running my hids and system and turn my heat from 0-4 (max) my battery light flickers on then off.... i have a advanced auto parts battery right now its an autocraft battery.. is the few things im running pulling to much off the cheap battery? and my altinator is probably 2-3 months old so i kno its not that.. any advice would be helpful thinking about gettin a optima yellow top but dnt want to if i dnt have to...thanks

RonJ

Banned
Sounds like the alternator cannot keep up with the power demand.

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think majority of people with system, regardless of battery, tend to run a capacitor with it. people can correct me if i'm wrong.

worth a try...i know optima yellow doesn't come in civic's size..well not the EG size that i could find.

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ x2 on using a capacitor.....Also, you could upgrade these cables 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You can relocate the battery in the trunk and run a larger battery. Then upgrade the grounds and battery connections, etc.

RonJ

Banned
When the charge light turns on, it indicates that the alternator is unable to keep the system voltage above that of the battery. So I think it's an alternator rather than battery problem.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I fully agree with RonJ. It isn't a battery problem. He is running more than the car can handle, or his alternator is bad/going out.

For the record, putting a capacitor is just a band aid to the bigger problem. Doing the big 3 upgrade is going to give you more of a fix than a cap would. Marketing companies have done an excellent job in making people believe that a capacitor will fix their problems.

Also going with a bigger battery or an Optima isn't going to do ANYTHING if the alternator can't keep up.

Relocating does nothing for beefing the charging system. All it does is relocate where the battery is mounted.

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
alright i will most likely do the wires and everything but where could i get a higher output alternator?

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you do as instructed, there is no need to swap your alternator.........Exactly what is your current set up??? I still stand by my original post as being your best option....... Use a capacitor/BASS CAP.....And upgrade these cables 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis.

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
right now i have the normal stock things running off the battery the only aftermarket acc. i have is a 6? gauge power wire for my 300 watt amp, my hids, and a wire that is connected to a switch for my radiator fan which i very rarely turn on unless im driving a good distance. what gauge wires should i re wire the things stated above with, never had to do this before lol