1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

"The Mothership" - 1998 Civic - Maintenance Log

Discussion in '6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)' started by ctag, Jan 2, 2013.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. ctag

ctag fill it with wires! Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Went to Florida to visit family for the past four days.

The Civic sat while I was gone, and almost didn't start when I got back. Suspect that fuel drained back past the check valve on the fuel pump.

Oh, and it looks like some brake fluid is leaking from the front of the car somewhere..

2. dillon2swift

dillon2swift Respected

Leaking break fluid can be from the slave cylinder if you drive a manual. Been a while since I read your cars info.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ctag likes this.
  3. ctag

I can't seem to find the leak anywhere, but in 20 degree weather the clutch feels like it's filled with milkshake... So that might be a clue.

4. ctag

Flushed the clutch line with DOT-4 tonight to try and fix the weird pedal feel.

Looked under the car and saw a lot of oil leaking onto the oil pan, and some coolant leaking from... somewhere.

Also, it appears that the power steering pump is leaking onto to the A/C pulley a little, and the A/C is making a rough, raspy sound when the engine is cold.

Tomorrow I'll know if the fresh clutch fluid makes a difference.

5. ctag

It wasn't quite as cold today, but the clutch feels much better :thumbs up

Of course, there's also a new noise that started only as I was finishing my commute to work. With the car moving, the clutch engaged, and the transmission in gear, there's a raspy sound. Anything else -- clutch in, in neutral, or not moving -- and the sound goes away.

6. ctag

The raspy sounds (both from the transmission and AC) die down a bit during above freezing temperatures.

I got tired of really poor FM radio signal around town, so I bought a new head unit with HD Radio for The Mothership.
    [​IMG]

Installing it was a breeze. First step: butcher the old wiring harness.
    [​IMG]

Cut all the wires to the same length.
    [​IMG]

Add heatshrink
    [​IMG]

Strip ends:
    [​IMG]

Done!
    [​IMG]

And Done!
    [​IMG]

My initial impression of this unit is that it's chintzy garbage. Just about every aspect of the old unit (wire gauge, buttons, click wheel, removing the faceplate, etc) feels really high quality compared to this new unit.

In fact, I was prepared to uninstall it and go back... All the way up until I turned it on and started listening. The sound quality isn't audiophile or anything, but it's leagues ahead of my old radio! So I guess I'll put up with the drawbacks, because I think I could get used to listening to this thing :thumbs up

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  7. civteck

civteck Respected

Pioneer is usually very good thats all i would ever buy, then again im not up on new models so i cant say. Last pioneer i bought was the avic-n3

Sent from my boujea ass phone

8. ctag

Yeah, and this one came really highly recommended. I guess I just miss the build quality of yester-decades.

Now that I have a nicer radio, I want to keep improving the audio situation:
    • Repair driver side tweeter
    • Install amp and subwoofer
    • Dynamat the cabin