thermostat replacement

team450

5+ Year Member
i need to know where the thermostat is lokated on my 01 civic ex 5 speed and i searched the whole site and nothing came up please help asap

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a haynes manual. make sure you replace with it with a thermostat from honda and not your local autoparts store. many times these do not open properly and cause overheating.

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
Open your hood, look down. It's on the front side of the motor, to the left. There is a hose that goes from the radiator to the block. There are 2 10mm bolts holding the housing onto the block. There are some plugs in that general area. One that goes to the housing and another one that is just bolted down in that area. It will come loose when you remove the right hand screw. Now tell me more about this thermostat issue nyghtryder. Last week I just changed my thermostat with a duralast one. Is there something I should know about.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its now been 3 different cars that i have tried autozone, pepboys, napa, and then finally the dealer in that order for thermostats. For somereason the aftermarket ones have either too stiff or not stiff enough of a spring and it causes the the unit to stay closed and causes the car to almost overheat and then it will open cool the car down to normal operating temp and repeat the cycle. Because of this i will no longer waste my time with aftermarket thermostats.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Look at your radiator, you have 2 big hoses... One hose is at the bottom, and one is at the top. The bottom hose from the radiator runs up to a small little thermostat housing. Drain your coolant, then remove your thermostat housing, and the thermostat sits right inside.