Throw out or input shaft bearing

Manderson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im getting mixed opinions on this asking mechanics and researching online so i thought i would bring it up here.

I have a rattling sound coming from either my input shaft bearing or my throw out bearing. I can hear it at idle while the car is in neutral and i am not pressing the clutch down. while driving, as i go thru gears, i can hear it well in first, rarely ever hear it in second (almost never), hear it in third fourth and fifth but it seems a bit more faint.

Ive had the car for probably 6-7 months or so and its always done it...doesnt seem to get any worse. Just figured i would try to get it taken care of. I know this is probably one of those things you need to hear to accurately diagnose but just give me your opinion. Thank you!

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if your at idle and you can hear it, and you push in your clutch and it goes away.. its your input shaft bearing..

if your at idle or even driving, and you put your clutch in and hear a squeek its probably your TOB

your input shaft bearing makes a horrid noise and sounds like your tranny is dying slowly.. because it is..

thadoggma

Sam
5+ Year Member
yeah i have to agree, i had my input shaft bearing go out on my hatch and it was a terrible noise until you pushed in the clutch, and it wouldnt stay in gear on its own too, you had to hold the stick in its gear or it would throw it out of gear.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your at idle and you can hear it, and you push in your clutch and it goes away.. its your input shaft bearing..

if your at idle or even driving, and you put your clutch in and hear a squeek its probably your TOB

your input shaft bearing makes a horrid noise and sounds like your tranny is dying slowly.. because it is..
100% correct.

mine was that way when I got the car a year and a half ago and who knows how long before that. i had planned on swapping the motor so i just left it alone hoping that i would have time to swap before it went. well that didnt happen. i lost funds and ended up just keeping it the way it was until about a month ago. i was driving down the road and went to downshift to 4th to slow down and i couldnt. it was stuck in 5th. finally got it out and then downshifting was a workout. upshifting was still okish. first, second, and third were fine. it would pop out of 4th and i had to cram the shifter as hard as i could to the right and then slam it up to 5th to get it in. also lost reverse all together. basically what it came down to was this.......

Thats right. I had to replace it. The bearing basically exploded inside the trans and well. you know what little bearings do to moving parts. Anyway. Get it repalced asap. It may last a while now but in the end it wont be cheap.

Manderson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks guys! I was thinking it was the ISB. appreciated.

Manderson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i took it to a local trans shop today to see about getting it fixed. They are talking $1,000 to fix it! For real?? Told me it would be just as cheap to pick up a used trans and put it in. Over $500 in labor alone. What do you guys think about that price?

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your gettin screwed. i had a quote for like $475 about a year ago. either way it is still cheaper to get a new one. that one in the pic i got for $150 with only 70k on it.

Manderson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your gettin screwed. i had a quote for like $475 about a year ago. either way it is still cheaper to get a new one. that one in the pic i got for $150 with only 70k on it.
ah, your in indiana too...Im in muncie n e of indy. did you get it from a salvage yard? if so which one? when i was in precision transmission today the called his supplier he deals with and the guy wanted like $600 for the trans with 77k on it. Yea i kinda thought i was getting screwed on that one. I kinda laughed at him when he told me the price.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ah, your in indiana too...Im in muncie n e of indy. did you get it from a salvage yard? if so which one? when i was in precision transmission today the called his supplier he deals with and the guy wanted like $600 for the trans with 77k on it. Yea i kinda thought i was getting screwed on that one. I kinda laughed at him when he told me the price.
im in noblesville. i found it on craigslist and had to drive to terra hault to get it. (about 1 hour 45 mins). but it was worth on. check www.indycarz.com they have had alot of good deals latley.