Timing / accessory belts - good manufacturers?

Blackhole4Ever

5+ Year Member
Hey all.

Just grabbed a Goodyear Gatorback timing belt/tensioner kit from eBay for about $30, which seemed like a good deal. Was wondering what manufacturer you all like as far as the accessory belts go. Did some shopping around and looks like I can get all three for about $30 for any of the following manufacturers:

Bando
Gates
Goodyear Gatorback

I'm inclined to just go with Gatorbacks for these as well, but was wondering what you all thought. Thanks...

p.s. - Also was wondering if this crankshaft tool was a good investment (I have three Civics) or if it's sufficient to just do one of the hacks (e.g. screwdriver/flywheel, etc.). Thanks...

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ

RonJ

Banned
I buy discounted genuine Honda Parts here.

Definitely purchase the Hex Tool.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
I agree the Hex Tool is worth the money. If you stick with OEM use the link posted or PM Tom on here. I wouldn't be as concerned with the accesory belts as much as I would be with getting a quality timing belt.

JasonxEHS

5+ Year Member
I agree the Hex Tool is worth the money. If you stick with OEM use the link posted or PM Tom on here. I wouldn't be as concerned with the accesory belts as much as I would be with getting a quality timing belt.
yeah, he is right for sure. i bought gatorback ac and alt. belts when i did my rebuilld and bought a brand new OEM Honda timing belt. its the best your gonna get

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gatorback is good, Gates is good.. But for your timing Belt I recommend OEM... Stick with OEM on that...

The tool I bought and love it!

Blackhole4Ever

5+ Year Member
Ok, got the tool, and well, I already bought the kit, so the Gatorback's gonna have to do for this project. Interestingly, I called Goodyear to talk shop and had a CS rep tell me that the timing belt isn't technically a GatorBack as it doesn't have that cross-hatch design that their serpentine belts have. A little confusing, if you ask me...

Anyways, I was wondering one other thing, most of the auto stores around here list the AC belt = PS belt, even though Honda specs three different part #s for the accessory belts (ALT, AC, and PS). On Goodyear's website, they cross-ref the three Honda part #s to two Gatorback part #s as well.

Is the AC belt identical to the PS belt?