Timing Belt Broke...

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
np dude, if you need anything else about the 88-99 honda factory lemme know. I'm always game to help

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
had a b16 belt snap at about 65 but i immediately turned off the motor and i was lucky, did a compression test, almost perfect compression in every cylinder..... but then again its the magic b16 (long story) so its not too surprising, glad to hear your up and running
I hate to break the bad news to ya, but when your timing belt snaps the engine dies. That being said, you cant turn the motor off.

As for d series not being valve eaters, Thats not completely true. Remove your timing belt and turn the cam so you have a valve wide open, Then turn the crank, atleast one piston will bind up on a valve .

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I hate to break the bad news to ya, but when your timing belt snaps the engine dies. That being said, you cant turn the motor off.

As for d series not being valve eaters, Thats not completely true. Remove your timing belt and turn the cam so you have a valve wide open, Then turn the crank, atleast one piston will bind up on a valve .
ok..

1. when a timeing belt snaps, lets say on the highway, its in a drive gear with is still spinning the engine (I.e) flywheel ect... and makes stroked of compression(how do you think you pop start a car?), then pushing in the clutch or turning the vehicle off WILL stop the engine from cycleing so it is indeed able to "turn off" by stopping revolutions.

2. D-series engines non-vtec do not smash vales its not a interfearance engine, its stated in multiple online guides and My own honda manual, all DOHC and VTEC engine are.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm sure you know what I meant by turning the motor off. If you want to get technical, he never said anything about stoping the cycle of the engine. As for d series not being an interference motor, I'm not going to have a huge debate over this with you. Those of you who want to find out for sure, follow my instructions.
Remove your timing belt and turn the cam so you have a valve wide open, Then turn the crank, If you can rotate the enging completely and freely, I will eat my own words.

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok with your theory then, How does it hold against this a 88 crx dx got brought in to the shop and a new guy sat and cranked it over for a good 15min and it just spun very fast....duh... and he was canking on it good untill i told him to pull the t-belt cover and that was the problem no damage to the engine. I dont understand then.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok with your theory then, How does it hold against this a 88 crx dx got brought in to the shop and a new guy sat and cranked it over for a good 15min and it just spun very fast....duh... and he was canking on it good untill i told him to pull the t-belt cover and that was the problem no damage to the engine. I dont understand then.
Now seriously I will explain this one time and I am done with you. Just because you can spin the crank freely, it doenst mean its not an interference engine. Did you ever stop to think that maybe the head was in the middle of an exhaust or intake stroke? Obviously you didnt, because if you did you would know that the valves werent wide open. Now go take your "duh" somewhere else.

For others that arent sure, Go here and put your aplication in.
http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598