Timing Belt Jump on D16Z6? Need How To

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was reading up on some other threads and the guys timing belt jumped, well im thinkin mine is off too but i need to know what to line the cam marks and crank marks up to. Thanks pics would be great

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have the cam marks lined up now are the crank marks supposed to be on the timing marks or the TDC marks?

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
crank pulley had the dash on it that should be lined up with the arrow above it. That's piston 1 at TDC, but dont mess with it just for the hell of it. If you skipped a tooth you would have a noticeable amount of slack.

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heres the deal, i lined up the cam how it should be and now on the crank pully the arrow points at the timing marks on not the TDC marks, i took it to honda awhile back and they said it had a lot of slack and they "tightened it up" but never checked if it skipped. the engin have 150 compression across the board and has pre-ignition/detonation problems and lacks pick-up-and-go, i know its a d-series but still. all i need to know is if on the crank pully if the lines should be pointng at the 3 timing marks or on the TDC mark

Edit: so all go ur saying it should be on the tdc mark?

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
are oyu doing a timing belt replacement? get a timing light and shine it on the crankshaft pulley with the ecu jumped and all accessorys turned off.

if its far away from 16*btdc youll know your off timing.

line up the crankshaft key arrow with the arrow on the oil pump cast. start the belt there. wrap around the tensioner and then up onto the cam gear. tighten the tensioner bolt and check to make sure the crank and oil pump orientation havent changed. this is important. sometimes its really easy to move the crankshaft a tooth while pulling up on the belt to get it around the tensioner and onto the cam gears.

once you inspeact the belt and the timing belt marks on the oil pump are OK rotoate the motor COUNTERCLOCKWISE 3 times to seat the belt and check again. put the motor at TDC again and loosen the adjuster bolt . rotate the crank 3 CAM TEETH counterclock wise then tighten up the tensior again. this should take up all the slack out of the assembly.

proceed with rotating the crankshaft 3 times counterclockwise and check to make sure EVERYTHING is still lined up.

and enjoi. very easy process with alittle patience